Author Topic: Back to Linux  (Read 2413 times)

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
Back to Linux
« on: September 19, 2006, 12:35:31 AM »
Well, I successfully installed Ubuntu on my "old" Dell I8200 laptop last night. It went very smoothly and in about a half hour I had the default install running and my wireless connection setup and ready to start tweaking the install. So a quick Google search for Ubuntu led me to a nice forum for support in my new endeavour.
So far it's been pretty smooth as far as Linux installs go. I got Java installed and Eclipse running, I seem to have all of my necessary app already installed (ssh, cvs, vnc, etc). The only thing that gave me a small headache was getting the flash plugin installed. I followed the instructions on the boards but finally gave up and installed the binary from the Adobe site and everything seems to be fine. I really like the minimal feel of it although I've noticed the default install takes up a surprising amount of hard disk space (for a single CD install). So I'll have to go through the installed apps and see what I don't need. All in all, I give it a thumbs up so far. The app manager seems pretty good and I haven't had any problems with the updating system yet. I think this could be an OS that I could trick my folks into using without too much hassle.
Next will be to see if I can get it installed on my new Dell D820.
This signature intentionally left blank.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
Re: Back to Linux
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 08:26:36 AM »
speaking of Ubuntu, does anybody need like 100 installation disks?

for some reason, about a year ago, they sent me a couple of display boxes filled with disks. 

I tried to give them away at work but everyone was like, "What the hell is an Ubuntu?"  and when I told them it was a Linux distribution they were like, "oh, I've heard of Linux, do they have it for xBox?"
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
Re: Back to Linux
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 01:32:06 PM »
I'm running Ubuntu on my school laptop. Pretty good so far, it doesn't feel a whole lot different from Fedora (probably because I use GNOME on both) but apt is kinda cool (though I think I still like yum better).