Author Topic: Example data view app with sorting?  (Read 582 times)

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
Example data view app with sorting?
« on: November 22, 2007, 03:20:24 PM »
I'm looking for an example application to motivate some research. Here's the idea: our algorithm allows one to efficiently traverse an index, sorted by multiple fields, with arbitrary ascending or descending specifications on each field.

So if you have an index on your email like: subject asc, from asc, date asc. Then we can efficiently traverse, for example: subject desc, from asc, date desc.

Anyone know of any applications (end user or domain specific) that let you sort data by multiple fields?

I was thinking of any sort of app that lets you view data in a table, and clicking on a table header sorts the data by that column. A second click on the same header reverses the sort. What I need now is an example of an application that lets you "pin" a sort on one column, then choose a secondary sort on another column (like sort by "from", then a secondary sort on "subject").

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
Re: Example data view app with sorting?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 03:56:32 PM »
Have you played around with the pivot tables in excel?  Probably not ideal for you, but it will allow you to sort a set of data by any number of factors at a whim...
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
Re: Example data view app with sorting?
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 05:10:05 PM »
That sounds like it might be along the line of what i'm looking for, I'll check it out. Thanks.

btw: I don't actually need a program, i'm just looking for the existence of one as motivation for the research. you know, like the intro to the paper says "look, there's a real place for applying this somewhere, it's not just of theoretical interest!".