Author Topic: Generals : Zero Hour  (Read 4033 times)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Generals : Zero Hour
« on: June 13, 2005, 08:09:24 AM »
I forgot how fucking difficult these types of games are.  I keep spreading myself too thin and getting my ass kicked six ways to sunday.  And it doesn't help that you can't really zoom out very far.

jverkoey

• Jackass III
    • http://TheJeffFiles.com/
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 06:43:11 PM »
Hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate

But yah, I dislike Generals.  I ranted about this at cboard a little while back...lemme look it up...

http://cboard.cprogramming.com/showthread.php?t=62690&highlight=generals

Been playing this game recently and I have to say, now that Westwood's just been kinda absorbed in to EA, the C&C series really sucks. No longer does C&C have the "C&C" feel to it, it feels like some over-glorified WC3 wannabe engine with the C&C name slapped on to it. Also coupled with the fact that the requirements to play the game even somewhat decently are horrendous compared to WC3, it's just a completely horrible experience.

Packed with about a whopping 6 or 7 levels per campaign (12 counting the expansion), the game is incredibly short, and the plot line definitely doesn't help. It's stupid, there's no Tanya, and it's incredibly obviously based off of today's state of affairs.

Also, the fact that for each faction there's one little cheap thing you can do and repeat in EVERY single mission to beat it.

The United States
Build a massive airforce, get maybe 2 or 3 air fields built and fill 'em up with airplanes, and just sit there and bomb the hell out of the enemy. I made it through the entire "Challenge Campaign" in the expansion with nothing but air units.

The Chinese
Build a few dragon tanks, set them around your perimeter of your base and have 'em spew their flames so you have a wall of flames around your base. To top that off, get an overlord with a propoganda tower next to each dragon tank and just sit them there so your dragon tank will be healed. Also stick some artillery behind the dragon tanks and you have an unpassable defense. Then just use the US's strategy above to beat the enemy and you'll never have to actually leave your base.

The GLA
Build a Jarmen Kell and just sneak around killing the enemies units, built a truck and load it up with some infantry and just drive around collecting your free units and you'll be able to beat the enemy in no time.

Blegh, it just annoys me that Westwood IS EA now and that the C&C series has suffered incredibly because of it.

-edit-
And also, the movies suck, they're incredibly corny (even more so than any of the other ones in the series). They also don't feel like briefings anymore as much as they do just news broadcasts (especially in the expansion). And also, no TANYA.  :mad:

To build on, Zero Hour *does* add a couple of decent features that extend the gameplay.

For example, there is a medal that you can only get after winning...I think it's somewhere around ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND BATTLES.

The game just plain sucks, I dislike it and I think Westwood should have been in full control of developing it because at least that way the would have had the good old C&C elements in it.
-Jeff Verkoeyen

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2005, 08:01:16 AM »
I agree... I loved the C&C stuff when Westwood was in control... and I sooo want Tanya back.  Irregardless, it's something different for me and will kill some time even if I don't finish the game.