Author Topic: wovel  (Read 5857 times)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
wovel
« on: January 05, 2009, 08:52:58 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wovel

just heard about this on npr today - and I think it is a brilliant idea. Anyone reading one? suggestions?

Discuss.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Re: wovel
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 10:45:44 AM »
I guess it could go either way. The good/bad would depend on the author but I could see it
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 11:54:39 AM »
well, the way I see it is that the author still has an overall story arc in her head, but it can get influenced by what her readers have to say. If used intelligently, the reader's input would not change the main story line at all, and if anything, it would enhance it.

the only thing constraining about it is the time frame you would give yourself between "episodes" - if too often, it defeats the purpose, if not often enough, you will not get the readership...hence, this becomes more like journalistic style of writing, rather than traditional fiction writing.

Sorta makes the author appear lazy,
indecisive, unsure of his imagination, honestly.

I don't see it that way. Traditional reading in this country (and I would imagine all over the world) is down, and this is just a way of bringing a traditional medium (novel) into this century. Everything consumers do these days, they want to be able to customize, so why not a novel?

Think about it: most people these day have pretty hectic lifestyles leaving little room for reading. I don't remember the last book I read cover to cover since I left school - right now the only thing I find time for is reading quips you guys post or link to and maybe a couple of magazine articles each day....and maybe a couple of poems here and there...but that is about it - and that is without having any kids!

When I find a wovel I enjoy reading, I will let you guys know.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 11:55:09 AM »
and RoD - I have no idea what you are trying to say in your reply...

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 04:57:39 PM »
I liked Choose your own adventure, but I honestly don't read enough to even consider being interested in something like this as a consumer.

I always imagined that if I wrote something, I'd want most of the little details mapped out in my head beforehand. This is why TV series always freaked me out, because they come up with new things based on actors coming and going and stuff like that.

I guess if you come up with the possibilities on your own ahead of time you can find a way to maneuver back to the conclusion (or one of the conclusions) you were planning on. Still seems a bit weird from both angles, though.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 05:45:59 PM »
Neat idea, taken from the kids travel books I read years back.  Somehow this kind of thing reminds me more of the text based computer games published by Infocom and the like back in the 80's.

Done well with the right voting points it could be a blast or a bust. 

Given the right subject matter I would give it a try. 

axon

When you say traditional reading is down, do you mean written word or audio books (podcasts too)?  It seems to me that the above concept would work well in either web based or podcast format.  To function as a regular book, wouldn't the vote have to be sequel based?

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 06:51:10 PM »
I think you might be misunderstanding the concept. A wovel is a novel written in a series of chapters...each chapter ending in a cliff hanger of sorts. Before the next chapter is written a vote that would alter the outcome is put forth to the readers - based on that vote, and the overall story arc, the story progresses.

Your game example is a pretty good one. Almost all the games I'm familiar with force you to make decisions that affect the immediate game play, however, the overall plot does not change, neither does the ultimate goal you need to reach - and that is where the biggest difference is. The conclusion of a wovel depends on the votes and for the most part the "ending" is not pre determined. (at least this is how I see it)

By traditional reading I mean reading media in hard copy format: hard/soft cover books, news papers, magazines, etc etc. All these are losing to web based mediums: podcasts, blogs, etc. Notice that the news paper and magazine companies that are doing good these days are those that have very popular web sites.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 09:23:42 PM »
Thanks.  I understand now. 

I myself have almost entirely left off reading hard copy materials.

My books are mostly podcast or audio.  Even my magazines are.

But hey.  We started out with cave walls.  It is okay to see the industry progress to a (hopefully) better medium with which to stay lucrative.

Opinion?

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 06:34:06 AM »
ethic seems a bit more angry than usual lately.

I disagree.  Every generation has memorable artists and art genres. 

Oh, and audio books are not a new media, nor are they internet dependent. Useful media for tens of thousands for years.  Not everyone can read hard copy media and or books.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 09:13:07 AM »
Thanks.  I understand now. 

I myself have almost entirely left off reading hard copy materials.

My books are mostly podcast or audio.  Even my magazines are.

But hey.  We started out with cave walls.  It is okay to see the industry progress to a (hopefully) better medium with which to stay lucrative.

Opinion?

I don't know about you, but listening to something being read does not have the same effect on me as reading it myself. My imagination is not triggered the same way when I listen to an audio book. With an audio book you are bound to the way someone is interpretting the text as they read - which always is different than you would read it.

I remember listening to LOTR on audio book (I've read it before that some time ago too) and thinking to myself about certain parts - man, this totally seemed different when I read it...

I will NEVER put away reading hardcopies of things. My office/library is full of books I've read and still have to read - and I know that there will be a time in my life when I still will.

As for Ethic's post - have you looked at yourself lately? what have you done to forward your "art" in the traditional way? have you showed discipline in studying drawing or sketching or whatever you do? I think what we have right now is great...in the past traditional study of art was a privilege to the upper classes, now, anybody can make and show off their art as much as they want. Sure, there is a lot of garbage out there - but it is up to the artist to stand out from the pack.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 10:49:29 AM »
Very nice.

:thumbsup: