Author Topic: My dad actually likes Linux (Ubuntu)  (Read 1723 times)

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
My dad actually likes Linux (Ubuntu)
« on: April 09, 2009, 02:09:27 PM »
While we were working on my basement this last weekend my dad admitted to me that he's very much enjoying his Linux PC we build a while back. It took a bit of learning on his part, a printer swap (why he didn't start with a better printer I don't know) and an update of OpenOffice to fix one click file opening for legacy Word docs and now he's actually finding it nicer to use. He's desperate to get his tuning software off the VMWare XP instance that it runs on and be done with Windows all together.
There's so much more software for him to play around with and the "games" (solitaire etc) selection is so superior to Windows (for my step mom) that they really don't want to go back to Windows. And to top it all off, he's even figuring out how to do some sys admin stuff (adding programs and such) and loves the package manager.

He reluctantly admitted this to me because I keep reminding him that he doesn't listen to me when I tell him what's "cool", like GrandCentral or Gmail, and after he actually gets around to trying it finds that it really is better than what he's been using.

And of course now that we've got him all setup, things will only keep getting better for him as opposed to the other way where his PC just kept getting crappier with more updates. He also likes the temporary comfort of Linux virus protection (fewer viruses = less worry).

I know it's still hard for everyone to wean themselves off Windows (I still run it for my work laptop, stupid Visio and FolderShare) and gaming is still largely missing but for everyday computing and a little bit of adjustment period, I think quite a few folks could get away with it.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Re: My dad actually likes Linux (Ubuntu)
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 02:30:39 PM »
Ubuntu makes it very easy for people to come over from Windows. I have converted a few people who were barely comfortable with windows pretty easily, and only one of them went back.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?