Author Topic: Stupid Flash  (Read 2552 times)

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
Stupid Flash
« on: April 14, 2009, 01:01:58 PM »
So, I finally got around to figuring out why the Flash mp3 player on my site doesn't work anymore. I guess with the new Flash player 10, they've made some security updates that alter the way the player works. Now if it receives the wrong content-disposition, it decided not to load the "movie" and thus my player no longer works.
That wouldn't be a huge deal if I could override the content-disposition, but apparently my web host doesn't have mod_headers enabled.

So I need to duct tape hack it.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
Re: Stupid Flash
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 01:03:50 PM »
Using PHP and header() doesn't work?

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 01:36:12 PM »
That's the work around I'll need. So I need to create a php page to set the header and then echo the swf file contents. I can't just link directly to the swf file like before.

Simply using header() on the page that using the swf doesn't work since it's the request to the swf that Flash is whining about now. Stupid security. Stupid web host. I want more for my $10/mo. :D

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 01:59:03 PM »
Has the host disabled mod_rewrite?  If not just use the rewrite to redirect the swf requests to a php file passing along the requested filename as a parameter (might be able to get that from $_SERVER but I can't recall off the top of my head).  Then it just takes one php file, a bit of logic, and you are done.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 02:49:10 PM »
Yeah, it's doable. I just don't think I should have to create a special page to bypass the stupid security Adobe decided it needed to add. For now, I'm just putting up links. Maybe I'll continue my Flash boycott and just stick with links in the future as well.

Are there any cool HTML5 media type tags?  I really could care less if stupid IE browsers can't get the full "experience" of my site.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 02:51:42 PM »
I did hear about some type of video tag for html5.  Don't remember the details.

And I know the pain of stupid security.  When I was at caltrans one of the intranet servers weren't sending css files as text/css mime types so firefox wouldn't load them.

Flash videos are fine but most other flash deserves to be burnt to the ground!