Author Topic: My Christmas poem  (Read 5287 times)

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
My Christmas poem
« on: December 08, 2013, 01:33:59 PM »
A couple years ago I was thumbing through some of my old notebooks from college and found this poem I'd written on a back page.

I'm really self-conscientious about anything creative I do, especially when it comes to writing. I always feel like everything I do is contrived or cliche or maybe corny. To make sharing this particular piece even more awkward, it is based on my Christian faith.  That being said, I guess it's not going to kill me to share, so here goes:

If I recall my spiritual mood at the time, I was coming into a deeper understanding of the personal relationships people can have with God.  I had recently made the connection that Christmas isn't simply the celebration of Jesus' birth and eventual redemption but a celebration of the Incarnation: The universe's creator becoming a humbled human to personally experience the pain, hunger, temptation and evil that exists in the world that he himself had created.

Little baby born tonight
To a world that he gave life
Lies beneath a moonlit sky
Below the stars that he designed

Perfect baby born to die
To see the world through human eyes
To feel temptations never known
To feel this pain of flesh and bone.

Son of God and
   Son of man
   Born to be the perfect lamb
   Feel my hurt and hear my cries
   Know my grief and true desires

Little baby born tonight
Save my soul and save my life
Empty me of all my crime
Give me peace beyond all time

Baby Jesus born tonight
Save my soul and save my life
Heal my heart and wash my feet
Live and die your plan complete
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Ken Fitlike

• Jackass V
  • Ebeneezer McScrooge
Re: My Christmas poem
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 07:27:35 PM »
Looks more song like in style/meter. I tried to get into the style of the psalms a few years ago and gave up; I love some of the (sometimes raunchy) imagery in the song of songs.

As for christmas, I hate the piles of debt people get into because a simple holiday has being transformed into a capialist monster-munch with Satan/Santa and Barbie/Jezebel riding out on the back of the beast of 'buy-now-but-lets-face-it-you'll-never-afford-it-later'

You have no idea how much I hate Barbie but I can tell you it's inversely proportional to my 5 -year old daughter's love of it. :(

Sorry, drifting a bit, getting old and rambly. If your words work for you well, I suppose that must be :afro: (<--??)
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?.

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
Re: My Christmas poem
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 01:32:42 PM »
I felt a change of profile was in order Ken. Hope you don't mind :p :)