Author Topic: Buying a bicycle  (Read 5313 times)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
Buying a bicycle
« on: April 14, 2005, 06:06:24 PM »
well, the weather is getting really nice, and it is time for me to buy a new bike. The one I have right now I've got in my early teens, and it doesn't cut it anymore.

Do you guys have any advice on what and where I should buy it? I've put aside $800 for the bike, and I would also get a bike rack for the car in that price.

I looked a bit online, and it seems like I could get some Mongoose models from 2004 for a good price since the new ones will be coming out soon. Same thing with Iron Horse...

[me]looks for Howdy[/me]
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

l33t-5h1t

• The artist formerly known as Waldo
  • Jackass III
Buying a bicycle
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2005, 06:11:52 PM »
well what type of bike are you looking for, I personally have only ridden mongoose bmx bikes so I don't know what their mountain bikes (if they make them) would be like.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
Buying a bicycle
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2005, 06:37:04 PM »
My friend is crazy about biking - I'll see if I can get him to register

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
Buying a bicycle
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2005, 06:55:55 PM »
Quote from: l33t-5h1t
well what type of bike are you looking for, I personally have only ridden mongoose bmx bikes so I don't know what their mountain bikes (if they make them) would be like.

oops, i thought that was obvious - I'm looking for a good mountain bike
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Buying a bicycle
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2005, 07:14:12 PM »
I have a mongoose XR100, pretty decent for the price. If you can swing it (used/ebay/etc) go for a diamondback with the shocks. Nothing wrong with the mongoose mountain bikes though, this one has seen a few mountain race seasons with my buddy and i raced my mongoose bmx for years, never had any probs.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Buying a bicycle
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2005, 10:28:18 PM »
I have this one right here @ work, we made it the police bike. I love this thing, riding down steps is smooth as can be, potholes, etc, like being in a car. Had it on a offroad course not far from here and it was VERY smooth and forgiving. Good price too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=98083&item=7147577965&rd=1#ebayphotohosting
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
Buying a bicycle
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2005, 10:29:35 PM »
Well I went to my local bike store, and bought a Ironhorse Quantum, lightweight 24 speed. The guy there, he seemed quite knowledgable, recommended it as a good bike to get into cycling. I'm pretty sure he was not yanking my chain, as there were bikes there much more expensive than this one. I paid $500 for the bike and $60 for the bike rack, and got some accessories...with everything I spend $640, so quite a bit below my budget :)

I'll post some pics from my first ride - which will most likely be tomorrrow.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Buying a bicycle
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2005, 10:32:05 PM »
Congrats man, hope it works nice for ya! : )

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
Buying a bicycle
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2005, 07:26:43 PM »
I took the bike out today...it wasa lot of fun. I rode 20.4 miles (two 9.7 miles loops) at a forestpreserve not far from my house. I didn't take the camera for the actual ride, as I didn't have a pocket in my gay shorts. Overall, good exepriance - bike needs some minor adjustments, but not many.

Legs react totally different than from running - many other muscles are working me thinks.

Two pics of bike at home....aint she sweeeeeet :p

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
Buying a bicycle
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2005, 07:28:20 PM »
I took the bike out today...it wasa lot of fun. I rode 20.4 miles (two 9.7 miles loops) at a forestpreserve not far from my house. I didn't take the camera for the actual ride, as I didn't have a pocket in my gay shorts. Overall, good exepriance - bike needs some minor adjustments, but not many.

Legs react totally different than from running - many other muscles are working me thinks.

Two pics of bike at home....aint she sweeeeeeet :p

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
Buying a bicycle
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2005, 07:28:45 PM »
and another...

jverkoey

• Jackass III
    • http://TheJeffFiles.com/
Buying a bicycle
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2005, 07:31:03 PM »
Very nice.  Now you've gotta go all l33t modding it somehow....maybe add a GPS to the front handle bars and an odometer :D
-Jeff Verkoeyen

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Buying a bicycle
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2005, 07:53:32 PM »
nice ride! Riding is a totally different use of muscles, thats why in physical therepy you have to run and pedal a bike.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
Buying a bicycle
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2005, 07:54:13 PM »
>  Riding is a totally different use of muscles, thats why in physical therepy you have to run and pedal a bike.

I thought it was because biking is so low impact?

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Buying a bicycle
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2005, 07:55:46 PM »
well an exercise bike is, but when both me and my friend had knee probs and went into PT we were told it was to use the lesser used muscles when running.