Author Topic: Moving... getting new internet/tv/phone service  (Read 3889 times)

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
Moving... getting new internet/tv/phone service
« on: May 26, 2011, 02:29:31 PM »
I probably should have posted this before I made decisions, but I forgot and when I am ready to make a decision I just do it. But, we're moving and I'm getting new service for internet, TV and phone. Here's what I wanted:
  • Cheaper - I want to save money wherever possible.
  • Fast internet - I plan to stream stuff to the GoogleTV and we always have lots of computers/phones/iPods/etc connected to the network.
  • HD + DVR - If we're going to actually get TV service instead of streaming all of our TV, we have an HD TV and we simply don't watch shows live, so a DVR is a must.
  • Home Phone # - We want a single "home" phone # we can give out to companies and family.
Here's what I went with:
  • Phone: No landline, but a Google Voice # connected to our cell phones. We'll see how this goes. I might consider whatever that internet based phone thing ober recommended if we don't like not having a home phone.
  • Internet: Comcast cable internet (Performance package). They say "up to 15 Mbps" for downloads. We'll see how much I really get. My current DSL is "up to 1.5 Mbps" so this will hopefully allow us to do whatever we want and actually stream HD quality stuff. I decided to rent their modem for $5 a month but would consider buying one after I'm comfortable that we'll keep the service and I have time to research them. Total package is $34.99 up front, $34.99/mo for 6 months, then $49.99/mo for 6 months, then the contract ends and it goes up another $10 to $15.
  • TV: DirecTV. HD DVR in one room and standard DVR in another. $100 up front plus maybe some installation costs, $47.99/mo for the first year, $62.99/mo for the next year, then the contract ends and it's $78.99/mo. Considered a Comcast bundle but the prices were about the same and I get a $180 Costco gift card for doing DTV at Costco, plus the Comcast DVR sucks balls and the DirecTV one looks like it doesn't.
  • Other: Netflix streaming + 1 DVD.
Did I make good choices? Should I get internet phone? Should I get my own cable modem?

Here's my payment breakdown (with install costs prorated over the first year):

What Current $/mo | $/mo first 6 mos | $/mo next 6 mos | $/mo year 2 | $/mo after |
Internet$28.00$37.91$52.91$65.95$65.95
TV$85.63$62.57$62.57$62.99$78.99
Movies$10.80$10.80$10.80$10.80$10.80
Phone+Long Distance$45.76$0$0$0$0
Total$170.19$111.28$126.28$139.74$155.74

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
Re: Moving... getting new internet/tv/phone service
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 11:00:00 AM »
So far I'm not as happy with DirecTV as I had hoped. My local channels are not in HD, which means when I turned on my recording of the basketball game it was 4:3 and standard definition. Seriously? 50% of my TV viewing is the broadcast networks. :rolleyes:

The menu system is a bit confusing, but I might just have to get used to it. The DVR controls are much more responsive than the Comcast ones, but less responsive than DishNetwork's DVR so that's a step down for me.

At least the install went smoothly.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 11:25:00 AM »
I would double check for HD versions of your local channels.  All of my local channels have a SD and HD channel with Time Warner.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 11:44:17 AM »
My parents digital cable box has a cool feature. If you select an SD channel and there is an HD equivalent, it will prompt you and ask you if you want to switch to the HD version.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 12:00:11 PM »
I would double check for HD versions of your local channels.  All of my local channels have a SD and HD channel with Time Warner.

Yeah... I plan to call when I get the chance. I did see HD broadcast networks lower down in the list, but they weren't available to me for whatever reason.

I have an HD antenna that actually provided a much clearer picture than DirecTV. (I'm assuming because the installer used old cables already running through the house, but maybe that's irrelevant.) The problem is that I don't think I can hook up the antenna to the DirecTV box to use with the DVR. I did that with my Dish Network box until they eventually gave all the local channels to us in HD. That was cool. But I didn't see any inputs that would work on my new box. I'll have to ask them about that, too.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 12:18:39 PM »
FYI

OTA (over the air) HD is usually of superior quality to most other sources of HD media.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 04:21:38 PM »
Get a FTA box and flash it to dish network. Free everything.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 12:25:21 AM »
Woo hoo!!

At the old place I was lucky to get 1.4 Mbps download.

Edit: At the old place now to unhook the router (should I get a better router?!?)... This is what I got:

:woot:
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 08:45:54 PM by charlie »

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 08:47:05 AM »
Ugh....I'm about to go through this...yuck....I"m glad you were successful with it....
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 09:02:34 AM »
Complainers. Where I'm moving they barely have high speed. There is dish network and only dish network and it reminds me of idsn
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 04:30:15 PM »
Fuck... brought the router over last night and not only did speeds decrease, but the connection goes in and out and I have no clue why. Why can't it just work, I really don't feel like troubleshooting right now.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 06:35:09 PM »
Is it linksys? If not get a linksys.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 06:43:18 PM »
I have to agree with Steve here my Linksys E3000 rocks.  I have had it for maybe a year and haven't had a single issue.

http://www.linksysbycisco.com/UK/en/products/E3000

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 07:19:44 PM »
I have solved every single router issue ever by switching to linksys. Ask obes, I turned him on to DD-WRT and he's been happier then a pig in shit ever since.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2011, 07:23:02 PM »
I'm actually thinking of switching my router to a switch and dealing with the DHCP part via a Linux box.  Seriously, most consumer routers just piss me off with their candy-ass GUIs.

And I had a problem with my brother's Linksys router.  It wasn't doing one of the WAP family password hashing correctly and I had to go in via a maintenance interface to put it in directly.