Author Topic: Apple Maps  (Read 3163 times)

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
Apple Maps
« on: September 25, 2012, 09:11:21 PM »
I have been somewhat forgiving of the whole Apple Maps debactle because of the rumors that Apple;s contract with Google was up and they didn't like the renewal terms...

...It appears that's bullshit....Apple didn't like the renewal terms....but they had a year left on the current deal.  They were upset that their Maps app was falling behind the Android Maps app, especially for turn by turn....So they ended the deal a year early and pushed out their own "beautiful" maps...claiming they were doing all the cartography themselves....a claim they've back peddled on (claiming it's a work in progress) since the thing came out...

They got so fucking high and mighty about they're pretty toy, that they forgot that with a map - function counts more than form and shipped a less functional product....I know it being live significantly helps them grow the database....but I'm sure this would suck less if they waited a fucking year.  Arrogance.  A$ = M$ anyone?

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/25/3407614/apple-over-a-year-left-on-google-maps-contract-google-maps-ios-app
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Re: Apple Maps
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 09:21:03 PM »
I never really used that app anyways.  I use Waze for daily commute shit and MapQuest for turn by turn.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 10:46:14 PM »
I have been somewhat forgiving of the whole Apple Maps debactle because of the rumors that Apple;s contract with Google was up and they didn't like the renewal terms...

...It appears that's bullshit....Apple didn't like the renewal terms....but they had a year left on the current deal.  They were upset that their Maps app was falling behind the Android Maps app, especially for turn by turn....So they ended the deal a year early and pushed out their own "beautiful" maps...claiming they were doing all the cartography themselves....a claim they've back peddled on (claiming it's a work in progress) since the thing came out...

They got so fucking high and mighty about they're pretty toy, that they forgot that with a map - function counts more than form and shipped a less functional product....I know it being live significantly helps them grow the database....but I'm sure this would suck less if they waited a fucking year.  Arrogance.  A$ = M$ anyone?

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/25/3407614/apple-over-a-year-left-on-google-maps-contract-google-maps-ios-app

Yet...

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 10:49:17 PM »
Apple rips people off and screw people over. Always been that way
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 07:56:41 AM »
Jesus when we they wake up. Instead Apple nuts are going "it's ok, I like it better this way!"
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 08:15:21 AM by Steve »
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 08:16:10 AM »
Yea - that's a problem....

Actually, what's funny to me, is that the scratching, I'm sure, is going to be massive news and everyone will go nuts about it....but the fact that Samsung phones with TouchWiz (most Samsung phones including the galaxy 2 and maybe the 3) can be wiped by clicking on a link isn't even going to be mentioned....Many more TouchWiz phones out there than iPhone 5's...and it's a MUCH bigger problem....
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 08:51:47 AM »
Most phones can be wiped in that manner thats why it isnt a big deal. So many people have a smart phone through work and are aware that the employer can make one click in Outlook and wipe that phone remotely at any time.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 09:13:22 AM »
Dude - we're talking about wiping a phone by clicking a link online from the phone.  We're not talking about remote corporate management.  I have never heard of a phone that can be wiped via a url.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 09:49:58 AM »
Dude - we're talking about wiping a phone by clicking a link online from the phone.  We're not talking about remote corporate management.  I have never heard of a phone that can be wiped via a url.

The point is that the capability to allow such an event exists in the phones. Destroying data on a phone through the internet connection and links is not a new concept. The only reason it is news is because it has not been an active method of exploitation for many years and people are ignorant to the mindset that their phones could possibly be vulnerable to such a thing.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 09:55:09 AM »
I don't follow your point at all. Wiping through a designed corroorate remote wipe function and through a URL is very different and a huge security hole. I'm sure it'll get patched quickly, but my point is, that if the security hole wide enough for replacement refs to see was in an apple product, the world would be ending according to the media.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 10:05:59 AM »
I'm not explaining it properly. The corporate policy wipe was simply an example of pre-existing concept. The point is that any smart phone is at risk of being wiped or damaged by clicking a malicious link intended to do so. It really isn't news because it is not an isolated issue and it isn't anything new.