Author Topic: Universal Remotes  (Read 5051 times)

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
Universal Remotes
« on: August 18, 2007, 06:48:35 PM »
Really, there is only one universal remote- Logitech's Harmony. All others are pretenders.

I just added more setup to mine and it is still really nifty. There are a few annoying things, like the fact that it doesn't give me quite as much control as I'd like. Also, I got a totally cryptic error message when setting it up and eventually found the problem on their forum. I had the same command programmed in two different places (on purpose). It doesn't allow that apparently, and it sure as hell doesn't know how to tell you what the problem is.

Despite the griping it is still great. Anybody else out there have or want a universal remote?

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
Re: Universal Remotes
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 08:29:56 PM »
How do you get the codes for the different equipment?  I would love a universal but have had shitty luck everytime I have tried one.  One of the disadvantages of owning non-mainstream equipment.  Ie Parasound.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 12:09:51 AM »
Actually, that is one area where the Harmony topped any and every universal I've ever used. Somehow, my Sony DVD/Receiver thingie (no comments from the gallery) uses a remote that nobody else knows how to put into their universal. But the harmony does it on the computer, so you type in the make and model and it has a database online of thousands of systems that it just downloads the information for. It found my DVD/Receiver thingie and does a great job of controlling it.

You download the controls for new devices and customize the settings while it's hooked up via USB to your PC. The list of available operations is sometimes not exact. Maybe a button on your remote is called Replay and it's listing says "SkipBack" or something, but it's generally close enough that you can figure it out.

Doing it on your PC is actually great, but the downside for me is my computer is upstairs and my TV is downstairs, so I have to fiddle with the settings, upload them to the remote, then run downstairs to test them to make sure they work, then run back upstairs and remember the tweaks I want to make. A bit of a hassle but still plenty worth it.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 12:11:43 AM by charlie »

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 12:13:32 AM »
Best, basic one i have ever had costs 10.00 at RS and its made by RCA. I love this thing. And i keep a pdf of the manual (avail for all rs products online) on my pc just in case. Never tried the harmony, but logitech has some really cool ones i have played with, even some touchscreen ones.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 12:28:56 AM »
Which Harmony model Charlie?

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 12:38:31 AM »
I've got the "cheap" one, 659.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 12:39:31 AM »
for a damn remote. To hell with that
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2007, 12:48:18 AM »
You talking about the $149 price tag? Ummm... yeah, it's a bit much. :)

Would never buy it for myself. But if you pay for a $1000 TV or a fancy entertainment system, then the ultimate universal remote might be a nice addition.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2007, 12:54:36 AM »
Yea i sold a few 100.00+ remotes at the shack and i could never believe people would spend it. But i guess they buy those for the same reason i convinced people to use monster cable. Was always something like "so you spent all that money on your tv and sound system, and you are going to connect everything with radioshack cable? What was the point" lol

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2007, 12:57:12 AM »
Doing it on your PC is actually great, but the downside for me is my computer is upstairs and my TV is downstairs, so I have to fiddle with the settings, upload them to the remote, then run downstairs to test them to make sure they work, then run back upstairs and remember the tweaks I want to make. A bit of a hassle but still plenty worth it.
Laptop baby :P

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2007, 01:05:58 AM »
Laptop baby :P

:) I wish. Still another year or more until it fits in the budget.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2007, 09:15:42 AM »
Charlie can you cruise the Logitech database and see if they have codes for Parasound, Outlaw, and Sony ES?

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2007, 02:00:10 PM »
What kind of devices? I saw the first two under amplifiers/receivers after a quick look. I'm not sure if Sony ES would be separate from Sony, but I didn't look too hard. If you want to send me the device type (as specific as possible, is it a receiver, a/v switch, tuner, etc) and the model numbers I'll look them up for you.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2007, 03:28:42 PM »
Parasound P3 Preamp

Sony ES DVP-NS3100ES  DVD Player

Outlaw RR2150 Receiver

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2007, 03:38:33 PM »
Is that the Halo P3? Found!

The receiver is from Outlaw Audio? Found!

The DVD player is just a DVD player, not recorder or anything? Found!

I didn't actually click finish to add these devices and check out their button list, but all the model numbers were found and accepted, so :thumbsup:.