Author Topic: Audio WTF  (Read 2720 times)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Audio WTF
« on: February 03, 2009, 09:19:41 AM »
SO I have my work laptop... and I got sound up and working last week while I was in Texas.  All well and good.  So now I'm back in the office and I'm connected to my dock and when you watch the audio controls, it would appear that something is playing.  But I cannot get anything on my headphones from either the jack on the laptop or the jack on the dock.

Everything is reporting as working, but no sound is coming out.  I've tried 2 different headphones with the same result.  I'm starting to wonder if it is seeing my iPhone as an audio device, even though it is only connected via USB.

HELP!

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Re: Audio WTF
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 10:01:09 AM »
Anything coming from the onboard speakers? I would unhook the iphone and reboot....
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 10:31:38 AM »
longshot guess, but do you have to tell your sound card to use the headphone jack?

on my home computer when I plug in my headphone a program opens and ask me what I just pluged into the 1/8th audio jack. I check the headphone's box and then they work.

The program that opens is software from the sound card, not the built in windows audio controls - but the software controls those features (volume, recording, etc)

Perhaps you have something similar but the software isn't launching to ask what you just plugged in?
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 11:49:14 AM »
All I know is that it was working last week with and without the headphones.  Now it's in my dock and it's not.  I'll try firing up the audio panel to see if that changes it.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 12:09:56 PM »
can you get output from the headphone jacks at all? Laptop audio ports are on a board seperate from the motherboard and the tiny wires they use to jack to the motherboard are pretty craptastic. They arent hard to "pop"
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 02:44:34 PM »
I haven't done anything major with the laptop since it was last working... I'm done fucking around with my iphone though so maybe I'll look at this now... but then again, I should probably get some work done.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 02:51:42 PM »
eh screw work thats if theres time left lol. You dont really have to mess with it. My hp lost all sound during a surge that didnt even flicker all the lights. I saw a dell break a wire when a jack was put in too hard, and so on.

its most likely a software issue. did u ever unplug the iphone and reboot?

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 02:53:29 PM »
u dont have the headphone port muted do u? :lol:

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 03:10:54 PM »
Weird... the other day my wife was skyping me from her brother's laptop (kinky!) but couldn't hear anything. Everything else worked, including her microphone. She just switched to her computer, I don't know if they ever resolved the sound issue on the laptop.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 08:50:59 PM »
Skype 4.0 just hit.