Author Topic: Recommend Someone I Know a Laptop  (Read 2659 times)

drakkenkorin

• Jackass VI
    • http://www.google.com
Recommend Someone I Know a Laptop
« on: April 21, 2010, 08:05:07 AM »
So one of my good friends at work is in need of a new mobile computational device, i.e. laptop.

I really don't have the time as I'm still working on all my paper work for my new job in Kuwait along with going to all the appointments and vaccinations to get medically cleared to go overseas - so I thought I'd pick at your brainses.

Here is what she's looking to do with said laptop:

Internet
Movie Watching (DVD and Internet)
Pictures (she has 3 grandkids and going on 4)
Light work

So I figured she'd need something with a good amount of RAM and a decent HD.

Asked her is she had a price point in mind, and she said she'd like to keep it under $1500, nothing smaller than 13" and nothing bigger than 17".

Last thing she said is to make sure it's a PC becuase she doesn't want to learn a new OS.

And knowing her like I do, she'll prefer new over refurbished/reconditioned and would pay for it.

Commence!
"I know that when I get home from work, I like to read the paper, sip a nice glass of Cabernet, and call people faggots on the internet.  Because I'm an adult." - Govtcheez

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
Re: Recommend Someone I Know a Laptop
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 08:22:14 AM »
my wife has had good luck with her off-the-shelf dell. The price point is between $800-1000.  Since your friend doesn't have high-end needs and she seems willing to pay more than the going price for a lower-end device, she would do fine just surfing dell or HP's websites or even just going to best buy and talking to a salesman. 
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 09:51:25 AM »

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 09:57:04 AM »
Lenovo.

Hard to beat.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 10:12:21 AM »
HP.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 12:48:50 PM »
Lenovo is good.  I like Toshibas as well and HP is on my list.  Avoid Gateway.

Go to most places and you can find a really good laptop between $400-700 for those needs.

Things to consider:
1) Don't get a glossy finish on the monitor.  Get matte.  It's much nicer.
2) Look at reviews for how hot specific models get... my Gateway gets waay too warm.
3) Most new laptops have all the features you're looking for and then some.
4) Find out what she likes... have her walk into a BestBuy or something and look at a few.  Trust me, little things make a huge difference and you can quickly rule out types or entire brands on what she likes or dislikes.
5) Find out how mobile she wants to be.  If she doesn't want to be plugged in, consider getting one with an extended battery that will last up to 4-6 hours.

drakkenkorin

• Jackass VI
    • http://www.google.com
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 04:14:48 PM »
>>You're going to Kuwait?<<

Just waiting on medical clearance to get my final offer (where they'll tell me my salary and my report date).  If I like the offer, then I go - which is pretty much a foregone conclusion.

Guess I'll start at the circulars to see what's out there (in regards to the laptop).
"I know that when I get home from work, I like to read the paper, sip a nice glass of Cabernet, and call people faggots on the internet.  Because I'm an adult." - Govtcheez