Author Topic: Vodka Spaghetti Sauce  (Read 4290 times)

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Vodka Spaghetti Sauce
« on: April 25, 2007, 09:19:37 PM »
Here is one a friends wife found, and made about 4 months ago for dinner. This stuff is KILLER, and i reccomend everyone tries it at least once, even if you dont like vodka. We used Grey Goose, but you can use any off-shelf vodka. Just dont go cheap, as it really hinders the taste.

Ingredients:

1 jar prepared spaghetti sauce, or preferably,
any good custom spaghetti sauce recipe
1/4 to 1/2 cup vodka (use good vodka please, even though you are just cooking with it!)
1 tsp. oregano
3 tbsp. Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 to 3 cloves of fresh garlic, sliced up
Splash of Virgin Olive Oil for the pan

2 Handfuls of mushrooms - your choice as to kind
Optional: 1 Green or Red Pepper, cleaned and sliced.
Optional: 1 large Onion, peeled.
2 Tbsp Butter

Directions:

Fry the mushrooms slowly in the butter in a saucepan separately. If you like, you can add sliced Green or Red Peppers and some onions, sliced.

Mix all the other ingredients and heat in a separate saucepan from the mushrooms over a medium flame, stirring constantly so the mixture does not boil or curdle.

The sauce will be an orange/pink when you are done and the vodka is only a very light flavoring that most people will not be able to even name as vodka.

Almost all of the alcohol content boils off during preparation (too bad...).

This is one of my favorite spaghetti sauces. After I fry the mushrooms, I sprinkle some Worcestershire sauce and a little coarse black pepper over them at the end of the frying. Add the cooked mushroom mixture and 1 fine chopped red chili to the sauce. Also add one teaspoon of sugar to reduce the bitterness of the tomatoes and garlic. Throw some raw cherry tomatoes on top before serving. It's the concept that counts-- if you have other ingredients, go ahead add them, a-la Jeff Smith's old "Hooker's Pasta" PBS show. You like anchovies? Throw 'em in!

You can serve this over freshly cooked spaghetti (al dente, please -- don't overcook!) along with small chilled shot glasses of nearly frozen Vodka.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
Re: Vodka Spaghetti Sauce
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 09:26:22 PM »
Going to try it this week!

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 09:27:19 PM »
Let me know how it comes out. I havent done it myself yet, but shes not a great cook and it was heaven.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 01:26:38 PM »
My wife loves the vodka sausce she buys at Traders Joe. We don't have (take) the time to make it ourselves.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 05:55:04 PM »
Dammit.  I gotta wait.  Wife has teh meal ticket figured out for a couple of weeks.  But I can be sneaky...