Author Topic: Cables make a big difference  (Read 4147 times)

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
Cables make a big difference
« on: May 11, 2009, 12:27:51 PM »
So I finally got some composite cables for my Wii this weekend (in addition to a few more games) and what a difference it makes. I should've gotten these a long time ago. It also seems to have taken care of my latency issues with my DLP TV. Now I can play punch out through the homebrew channel and not get knocked out all the time.

So, I went out and got cables for my PS2 as well.

Suggestion:
If you're still using the cables that came with your system (the red, white and yellow ones), go out and get a set of composite cables. ~$20. It's worth it.
This signature intentionally left blank.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
Re: Cables make a big difference
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 12:44:52 PM »
Having been dealing with hi-fi and mid-fi for decades, cables can make or break a system.  Most people disregard this utilizing the "it's just copper" argument.  I figure, meh, their loss.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 01:36:35 PM »
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 02:17:16 PM »
 :rolleyes:

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 02:21:44 PM »
HAHAHA... nice one Micah.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 04:15:27 PM »
This should be in Movies/TV.

No, I don't mean to move the thread, I just mean I've found it to be equally true in regards to watching movies and some television.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 04:20:07 PM »
I disagree. My point was to focus on the fact that gaming systems come with crappy cables and it's worth the extra money to buy the better quality cables to wire up your gaming system and take full advantage of it.

Blame knuck for generalizing my point.

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 02:59:03 PM »
Must be rigged.  I know a number of people that I have tested similarly and could easily tell.  I can pick out crappy cables in certain systems, but would never spring for high end cabling anymore.

I go for decent cabling but never anything extravagant anymore.

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 03:21:15 PM »
Must be rigged.  I know a number of people that I have tested similarly and could easily tell.

Really? In full scientifically controlled double-blind tests?

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 10:23:02 AM »
::waiting::
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009, 12:44:45 PM »
I have talked to a couple of folks that were around when he started this thing, and it is supposedly not on the up and up.  People have either won it or challenged it and been dismissed.  Publicity stunt, so I am told.

It is simple science that every cable has different electrical characteristics.  Thus the sound can change from cable set x to cable set y.  Capacitance, resistance, inductance, frequency carrying ability (skin effect) vary.  Take a single set of cables.  Add a capacitor or maybe an inductor.  This will change the final sound (by interacting with the crossover). 

This is not magic, just simple electronics.

Picking each component of a high end system is largely a balance of the characteristics that suit the individual tastes of the listener(s).

Some folks take it a bit farther than we can resolve (or believe) but this happens with all hobbies.  People freak out over super high end all sorts of shit that the rest of us just shake our heads at.

JaWiB

• definitelys definately no MacGyver
  • Jackass V
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2009, 01:09:08 PM »
It is simple science that every cable has different electrical characteristics.  Thus the sound can change from cable set x to cable set y.  Capacitance, resistance, inductance, frequency carrying ability (skin effect) vary.  Take a single set of cables.  Add a capacitor or maybe an inductor.  This will change the final sound (by interacting with the crossover). 
Adding a capacitor or inductor would filter out either low or high frequencies, but I kinda doubt that any cable would have a high enough capacitance to be noticeable by a human ear. We're probably talking about picofarads (10^-12).

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2009, 01:29:06 PM »
I'd like to reiterate that my original point is that which type of cable you use is important, not that brands make better ones.

Example:
HDMI > S-Video
or in my case
Component over composite

Not: Monster vs Mogami

Now you may go back to arguing that a coat hanger is as good as any other coax cable.