Author Topic: personal site critique  (Read 3366 times)

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
personal site critique
« on: December 27, 2006, 12:22:02 AM »
http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/jkim1/

I've had the layout for a while now, but I just did a big update to the site, and I'd appreciate some feedback.  Thanks :)

Ken Fitlike

• Jackass V
  • Ebeneezer McScrooge
Re: personal site critique
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 01:53:15 PM »
Browser: firefox 2.0.0.1
screen resolution: 1280 x 1024
javascript: on (unusually for me).

The text is a bit small for my old eyes (I also have to sit quite far from the monitor to keep my foot up). When I increase the text size with my browser the navigation text overwrites the main text, as does the "I'm just Jen". The text size of the media player remains consistently tiny so is unusable to me. The highlight colour for hyperlinks doesn't have enough contrast with the corresponding text colour so you end up with just a dark block with no apparent text(actually this isn't so bad with larger text sizes).

Other than that the layout is good - it's quite easy to navigate and I do like the dark background and narrow, central box. I'm curious about what the Korean(?) characters mean in the link on the top-left, though.

Judging by the content I can view, you're a very talented individual; 'Pastels on grey' are superb. :)
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?.

Canuck

• Eh?!!
  • Founders
  • Andy Moog Fan
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 03:30:40 PM »
Im all about validating my sites.. but aside from that...

On your navigation menu, I know you were trying to keep the colours consistent and use the dark blue for the background colour, I think its too dark, as Ken mentioned.

The hover on the links for the menus on each page are quite subtle..

The title 'My Work' blends into the navigation menu too much, is that title even necessary?

You have links on the bottom of your pages (Digital Portfolio for example: IDM:Summer 04 / IDM 1:Fall 05 / Index) They link to directories, what are those for?

The Pre-College: Summer 2004 doesnt have the main image on its page.

'The Studio: Fall 05 - Form' (Architecutral Portfolio), there is an image caption which stretches across the entire width of the container, I would align it with the edges of the image, even add some spacing between multiple images, and at the end of the final image on that page.

The tilte 'Studio: Fall 05 - Form' is the same size as all the other text on the page, maybe increase its size, or make it bold, just so it doesnt blend in with the other text.

The 'Music' page, I would add some padding on either side of the text, so it doesnt go to the outer edges.

Just some minor suggestions.  Great job!!!

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 03:51:44 PM »
Hmm, how strange.  I'll have to look into that thing with FF.  I don't think I can change the media player at all unfortunately.

The bottom links are leftover from the previous layout.  They used to go to course websites, but something funky's been happening with the servers and I guess our instructor gave up trying to get it to work.  Thanks for the catches.

Ken, you're correct in determining the Korean.  It's my name.  And thanks for the complement on my work, I enjoyed doing that section in the class, but I think I received on of my worser grades for that portfolio.  The rest of my portfolio is at school.  Oops.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 10:30:29 AM »
I'm not going to criticize the website since I don't think mine is all that great. Yours isn't obnoxious so I give it a thumbs up.
I was most interested in the music player you had. I've been looking for something like that for my website and for my work for a while. And bonus that it's a sourceforge project.
This signature intentionally left blank.

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 03:38:12 AM »
http://jkim1.mine.nu

I got sick of having to "publish" my website to see how a change went, so this is running off the laptop.  Hopefully I didn't screw it up any more than it was before.

(it'll be slow loading)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 01:52:03 PM by jkim »