Author Topic: Assembly  (Read 13090 times)

bman

• Jackass II
Assembly
« on: April 12, 2005, 08:27:25 PM »
I like assembly it's cool.

Ken Fitlike

• Jackass V
  • Ebeneezer McScrooge
Assembly
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2005, 09:23:00 PM »
Great - so how about telling us a little more about what you think is cool about it?

What processor(s) do you code for/with?
What tools do you use? Which, if any do you prefer?
Are you working on anything just now? If you are, care to discuss it?

I learned 6502 assembly on an AIM65 ~20 years ago and forgot most of it ~19 years ago. I dabble very occasionally with x86 stuff whenever the mood takes me which isn't often. I use the GNU assembler and don't mind AT & T syntax which many seem to deplore. I'm only now beginning to get to grips with using extended inline assembly syntax with the GNU assembler and learning the subtle differences between how gcc and g++ handle inline assembly, particularly variable declaration scope/syntax.

It's a billion light years away from rocket science/operating system development but wtf? It's - well, 'cool' is as good a descriptor as any. ;)

edit: When I started fiddling around with the GNU assembler I found the -S switch invaluable. ;)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2005, 09:32:03 PM by Ken Fitlike »
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
Assembly
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 09:45:04 PM »
the only assembly I was any good with was MIPS...thats what they thought at my school, pretty useless otherwise. I know that the original playstation used MIPS, I doubt they made that same mistake with the PS2 :)
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
Assembly
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 11:41:07 PM »
Quote from: axon
the only assembly I was any good with was MIPS...thats what they thought at my school, pretty useless otherwise. I know that the original playstation used MIPS, I doubt they made that same mistake with the PS2 :)

guess again.... oh, and the PSP uses MIPS too :)

Oh, i learned MIPS in school too. It was cool i guess, less of a mess than x86.

bman

• Jackass II
Assembly
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2005, 03:39:04 AM »
Quote from: Ken Fitlike
Great - so how about telling us a little more about what you think is cool about it?

What processor(s) do you code for/with?
What tools do you use? Which, if any do you prefer?
Are you working on anything just now? If you are, care to discuss it?

I learned 6502 assembly on an AIM65 ~20 years ago and forgot most of it ~19 years ago. I dabble very occasionally with x86 stuff whenever the mood takes me which isn't often. I use the GNU assembler and don't mind AT & T syntax which many seem to deplore. I'm only now beginning to get to grips with using extended inline assembly syntax with the GNU assembler and learning the subtle differences between how gcc and g++ handle inline assembly, particularly variable declaration scope/syntax.

It's a billion light years away from rocket science/operating system development but wtf? It's - well, 'cool' is as good a descriptor as any. ;)

edit: When I started fiddling around with the GNU assembler I found the -S switch invaluable. ;)

I use nasm for use with intel processors.
Tools: Nasm + text editor :)
Working on anything: Just an assignment for school. To write a recursive fib function.