Author Topic: Need a new digital camera  (Read 8102 times)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Need a new digital camera
« on: October 03, 2005, 09:29:33 AM »
My wife and I were looking in CompUSA the other day for a new digi cam and found this one:

http://exilim.casio.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=cameras.features&exp_id=1A5770F3-C9FD-45EC-992C-F6A411DB509A

I've read some reviews and they say the picture quality isn't the best, but I want one about this size and with about the same features (5 MP, thin, stabilizing, etc).  Although I just read another review that said it was really good, and had pictures to prove it.

I think I'll get this one unless someone can suggest something better.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2005, 09:56:45 AM by ober »

drakkenkorin

• Jackass VI
    • http://www.google.com
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 10:35:53 AM »
wanna buy a slightly used fuji finepix a340?
"I know that when I get home from work, I like to read the paper, sip a nice glass of Cabernet, and call people faggots on the internet.  Because I'm an adult." - Govtcheez

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 10:43:53 AM »
That's a fatty-boom-batty.  We want a tiny one.

drakkenkorin

• Jackass VI
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005, 11:43:00 AM »
eh, i tried.  plus its also a bit slow (but i don't know if that's b/c the batteries are dying or if its just slow).

i ordered a pentax optio 60, but it hasn't come in and im starting to get impatient.  ritz needs to hurry up and send it to me.
"I know that when I get home from work, I like to read the paper, sip a nice glass of Cabernet, and call people faggots on the internet.  Because I'm an adult." - Govtcheez

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2005, 12:32:15 PM »
we have that real slim sony cybershot, its been a great buy so far had it for almost a year.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2005, 01:31:20 PM »
ok.... there are like 40 "real slim sony cybershots".  NEED MORE DETAIL.  But I don't really care.  I don't like the look of any of them and I already found the one above on ebay that i'm gonna buy... which I'll do right now ;)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2005, 01:42:58 PM »
not bad. The CS is my dads dont knw what model but its only 3MP. Be sure to review that one here when u can ill be looking to buy my own before christmas : )
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2005, 02:04:56 PM »
Ok, after using it quite a bit and playing around with some of the functionality, I have to say that I'm impressed.

Pros:
1) excellent video w/ audio and the video is very good quality
2) ability to record audio notes
3) super small
4) cradle so there is no more removing of batteries to charge the camera and transfer to the computer is handled through the cradle as well
5) easy to navigate menu
6) TONS of options and ways to manipulate the shot (I haven't even touched half of the camera modes... there has to be close to 20 or so, maybe more)
7) super bright flash, plus red eye reduction, and what I call the "anti-wobble" feature (tries to fix hand-shaking issues)

Cons:
1) only a 5MP, and my dad said he just bought a 7MP Nikon for about the same price
2) LCD isn't crystal clear when just viewing live action (when lining up a shot or whatever) - however, the pics and video look good during replay

I don't really ever get into all the super details about ISO and all that crap, so I can't give you the pros and cons of that, but if you want a full critique, go here: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/ex-s500.html

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2005, 02:53:51 PM »
thnx man, which model did your dad pickup? hows he like it?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2005, 02:59:21 PM »
Nikon Coolpix 7900:
http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=2&productNr=25527

He got it from Maine somewhere and the guy he bought it from said that Nikon can't make them fast enough.  Really sounds like a fantastic camera, and he seems to like it a lot, but I don't think he's really played with it much to say what the pros and cons are.

Ok... the Nikon site sucks, but my dad says the LCD takes up the majority of the back of the camera.  He also said that this was recommended over the 7600, which apparently had some flaws.

EDIT:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/nikon7900.html

After looking at his, I still like mine better... mine has a slightly bigger LCD, is more compact, and generally has a better look.  The only advantage I see to his is that it has an optical viewfinder.... (but who really uses them anymore?).
« Last Edit: October 10, 2005, 03:04:28 PM by ober »

drakkenkorin

• Jackass VI
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2005, 12:35:59 PM »
you don't know how long i contemplated over buying the same camera (casio)!!!

but then i got the shipment notification from ritz, and i got over it.  should be at home today or tomorrow.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2005, 01:13:49 PM »
:)  We'll be camera buddies!  What color did you get?

drakkenkorin

• Jackass VI
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2005, 01:15:25 PM »
i got a different camera.  i had a pentax optio 60 on order w/ritz for almost a month.  just shipped yesterday.

its silver though :)

now i just need to buy an SD card, only i have is 8mg :(

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2005, 03:51:58 PM »
Ok... complaint:  A lot of my pictures are coming out fuzzy.  Anyone know what might be causing this?  They don't look too bad until I look at them on the computer.  Could a setting cause this or do I have a bad camera?