Author Topic: OBD-II to bluetooth and Torque  (Read 2793 times)

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
OBD-II to bluetooth and Torque
« on: September 27, 2012, 09:31:57 PM »
I'm not a big car buff but I'm a huge data nerd.  I bought a cheap OBD2 interface on amazon to plug into my car (under the dashboard) that connects my smartphone via bluetooth to the car's computer.  Then I installed the Torque App on my phone.   

The app combines real-time engine data with the phones GPS and accelerometer to display some pretty sweet looking gauges and and stats.  I just got it tonight and only did a quick test to make sure it works, but I'm pretty excited about it.

Also, you can diagnos and reset check engine lights... kinda cool
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Re: OBD-II to bluetooth and Torque
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 09:43:29 PM »
It was a big trend a few years back when the apps first started coming out. Im not into the app thing but the scanners are priceless for troubleshooting
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 10:18:00 PM »
Total cost?

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 10:25:17 PM »
Total cost?

yeah, I'm curious too. Sounds pretty cool. Probably worth the cost just to be able to diagnose the check-engine lights.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 10:54:06 PM »
Depending on the vehicle have you can sometimes get really wicked setups cheap. For example when I had my 3000GT there was a guy that worked as a software engineer for Mitsubishi on one of the forums. He made a connector to hook the cars OBD system to a laptop via USB, or to a smartphone or PDA by microusb or bluetooth. The software was his own and it not only read from the system but allowed you to use different dealer modes, collect and interpret data, and even load different settings to it.

The whole thing was either $50 or $75 from memory. The point being there is a whole world out there for this stuff and your vehicle may have something like this.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 11:54:42 PM »
I've been researching the hardware for a while and read that most of the chepaer devices that are available on ebay and amazon are cheap chinese crap. I wanted to buy the recommend $100 model but kepts putting it off because, well, I don't want to spend $100 on a toy.  Then I finally figured the other day, let me just take my chances on a cheaper model that has good reviews so I bought this one for $24.  It works out of the box (well, out of that baggie that it shipped in; and who knows for how long)

I tested earlier this evening with the free version of the phone app but once I saw it works, I sprung the $4.99 for the pro version.  All told, $29
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 12:34:21 AM »
Android only, no iOS for that model, right?

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 09:33:53 AM »
Played with it a bit on my way to work this morning.  I still think its pretty cool -- although, once the novelty wears off, I'm not sure I'll actually use it much until I need the diagnostic features.

I noticed when i got to work that you can review trips... here's my commute this morning