Author Topic: Router  (Read 2506 times)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Router
« on: December 30, 2012, 11:13:35 AM »
My in-laws are going wireless so I need to get them a solid router.  I'm honestly wary of Linksys these days so I'm willing to go with another brand.  Anyone have any good suggestions?  I'd like to stay under $100.

By the way, they will have a Roku wireless so I want something with a high QoS.  The good thing is that the router will likely sit within 10 feet of the Roku.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
Re: Router
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 11:24:34 AM »
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2398080,00.asp

I looked at the top 2 on this list.  They're both a touch over 100 but both look pretty solid.  A guy I work with says there are Linksys security holes but I'm not terribly concerned about hackers where they live.  I've never really been a big fan of Netgear but I won't ignore it.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 11:25:54 AM »
OH, and we got them the Roku XS for christmas (the top end one).

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 11:26:27 AM »

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 11:30:17 AM »
I have the top end Roku too - thumbs up for the ethernet connection...
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 07:18:54 PM »
Let us know what you end up with.  Mike Kelly just got a mid level Linksys.  I have one and Zaphod recently purchased one.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 10:54:42 AM »
I ended up going a different route entirely.  I was heading to amazon to find a specific router and the following came up: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0044YU60M/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01

I haven't heard of the name so I did some research on it.  The thing that blew me away was all of the positive reviews.  It's kind of insane.  A lot of people have reviewed the device as well and it looked pretty solid.  I got a wireless usb plug for their computer as well for 30 and the whole deal with 2 day shipping was less than what I was planning to spend on just the router. 

The only downside I see is that's it is only 150 mbps vs the full N protocol speeds but it got such amazing reviews that I'm willing to give it a shot.  I'll post a review after they've used it for a bit.

edit: this was the wireless card/usb thing: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002RM08RE/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 01:06:23 PM »
Well!?!

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 04:35:50 PM »
Thanks for the reminder.  I just installed it on Sunday.  Or Saturday.  Anyways.  Completely painless install.  The router was smaller than most I have encountered.  No external antenna.  I configured the whole thing wirelessly with my iPad.  Had to reset/reconnect 3 different times due to changing password, setting up wireless security, and something else... the SSID, I think.  Each time was flawless.  It's a 150MBps router (the connection on her computer indicated a speed of about 130MBps) which is more than enough for what they need.  We also connected her new Roku to it and it was streaming HD flawlessly.  Like I said, I also got the little thumb drive wireless device for her computer and that setup was pretty simple too.  I was surprised the setup didn't come on the flash drive itself, but whatever.  I was extremely happy with the whole experience and would definitely recommend it to others.  Much cheaper than other setups and seems to have all the security and options I was looking for to protect them.

By the way, I've never played with a Roku before.  Very cool little interface if you don't have another way to consume those services.  I did end up setting up a shit-ton of accounts for my mother-in-law that day.  It got old after the first few.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 04:37:28 PM »
Oh, and in case you're wondering about distances and stuff, I can't really attest to that.  They live in a condo and all the devices are within about 20 feet of each other so I can't really speak to the ability to go through walls and stuff.