Author Topic: Switched to UVerse  (Read 7824 times)

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
Re: Switched to UVerse
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2013, 10:35:59 AM »
So she offers to cancel the activation fee, plus take out the $7 fee for the second TV, and make the $10 off for HD 12 months instead of the 6 months the sales guys had weaseled me on. That's $200 I'm saving from where I started the day.

49+(7*12)+(10*6) = 193.  :dunno:

Seemed straightforward enough to me

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2013, 11:40:15 AM »
So the total per month is $115 for 18Mbps internet, 300 channels (including Showtime/Starz/Encore) on 2 TVs, HD, DVR including taxes and fees. Better than the $160 we were going to be paying for slightly better service.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2013, 12:11:27 PM »
So the total per month is $115 for 18Mbps internet, 300 channels (including Showtime/Starz/Encore) on 2 TVs, HD, DVR including taxes and fees. Better than the $160 we were going to be paying for slightly better service.

yeah, when we move to our new rental home, we'll be paying $113 for about the same (although, I don't think we'll have HD) but that SO much better than the $165+ I'm paying for Cable/Internet everything month.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2013, 01:07:43 PM »

yeah, when we move to our new rental home, we'll be paying $113 for about the same (although, I don't think we'll have HD) but that SO much better than the $165+ I'm paying for Cable/Internet everything month.

so the decision has been made?
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2013, 01:10:08 PM »
like it was ever really up to me :)
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2013, 01:18:45 PM »
:)

so when are you moving - Kermi wants to come and help!
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2013, 11:29:04 PM »
Another update...

Good news: Disney Junior was added a week after the last update. Woot!

Bad news:

I think somebody here might have mentioned it (maybe in an old thread) but the internet gets super slow in the evenings. No longer can I be working from home while my daughters FaceTime their grandpa at 7pm. With Comcast I never noticed the speed dipping on one device when other devices were using it.

Also, they promote 4 tuners, but only 3 are HD. I'm not a fan of non-HD channels and wouldn't watch one except in an emergency. false advertising!

Earlier I was thinking of switching back to DirecTV but keeping the u-verse internet when the contract is up, but now I'm almost certainly switching back to DirecTV and Comcast when my year is up.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2013, 01:00:36 AM »
It sucks that you're feeling all the pain, but thank you for the review.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2013, 08:04:18 AM »
It sucks that you're feeling all the pain, but thank you for the review.

I left comcast for ATT for a few years and it sucked bad - it was DSL and not UVerse - but still, when it comes to broadband, comcast has no competition on speed an uptime in my market. I'm glad I'm back.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2013, 02:36:58 PM »
Silly me I figured the advertised 18Mbps would at least be similar in quality to Comcast's "up to 15Mbps".

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2013, 07:40:09 PM »
New update...

So a lot of the negatives I have either gotten used to or haven't cropped up much recently.

Still a problem
* Only 3 HD tuners
* No swap functionality
* Hard to turn on/off subtitles

Not a problem
* DVR size is actually not bad at all
* Disney Junior is now available (mentioned earlier)
* They keep giving me free HBO. First I got HBO/Cinemax for free for 3 months. When that ran out I signed up for free HBO for 3 months. That just ran out and I signed up for HBO/Cinemax for free for 3 months again. So basically I'm getting free HBO for almost (at least) the whole first year.

Still a problem but haven't really noticed it
* Some glitchiness here and there. I've restarted the receiver twice in 6 months due to weirdness. Overall I don't notice many bugs (still a few more than Dish/DirecTV).
* Channel lineup still not easy to customize, but they added one fix to make it a little easier and I put in the work to set it up the way I want so now it's not so bad.
* Internet speed may or may not have gotten better, but I haven't really noticed any speed dips during peak usage since I complained earlier.

New problem
* The router they provide doesn't reach certain corners of our small house. If I'm sitting on my daughter's bed I lose my connection, and when using facetime the signal gets lost when we walk into their room or into the back of the kitchen. I would also watch The Wire on my iPod in my daughters' room, and would only get consistent signal if I sat close to the open door so I could see the living room. This is annoying.

So overall I'm more satisfied than I was in April. The cost isn't bad, especially with free HBO, so I may or may not decide to switch back next year when the contract is up. We'll see if there are any issues until then, and how good of a deal the other companies give me to entice me to switch back.

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2013, 11:58:38 PM »
nice. thanks for the update.

We've been using uverse as well since we moved to this house in June.  I miss HD and our cost just went up from $113 to $122 but its still cheaper than cable.  I had some issues with my xbox live connection glitching every once in a while but I don't know if its from uverse or just xbox sucking.

We rarely stream movies or have large downloads but we haven't had a problem when we use netflix.   Honestly, I can't complain.