Author Topic: HP Chromebook 11  (Read 2531 times)

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
HP Chromebook 11
« on: October 08, 2013, 12:11:35 PM »
Looks like HP just released an 11" Chromebook. Looks very much like the older Macbooks to me. I was waiting for something better than my Series 3 (which I love) but it looks like this is pretty much the same thing but from HP instead of Samsung. So if you don't like the little hinge on the Series 3 but want a similar device, maybe this is it. From the looks of it though other than maybe a bit faster RAM and brighter screen it's spec'd out the same as far as I can tell. Good to see the Chromebooks are sticking around though, I really like mine. Especially after throwing crouton on it it's a nice little cheap dev laptop.
This signature intentionally left blank.

drakkenkorin

• Jackass VI
    • http://www.google.com
Re: HP Chromebook 11
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 08:22:27 AM »
I'm considering ditching my iPad for a Chromebook.

I'll have to give this one a looksee
"I know that when I get home from work, I like to read the paper, sip a nice glass of Cabernet, and call people faggots on the internet.  Because I'm an adult." - Govtcheez

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 09:49:49 AM »
it does look pretty sweet.  I'm asking for one for Christmas :)

also, https://chrome.com/giveachromebook/  you can nominate yourself, I did yesterday :D
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 10:28:30 AM »
I did a little more comparison research to the Samsung (which is still $30 cheaper)

The hardware specs are basically identical. Exact same processor and same size SSD.  The HP has a fancy glossy monitor (which reflects that lamp and window behind you).  The HP drops the HDMI out (favoring the annoying video-out through the usb port like my galaxy s4 has) and takes out the SD card, basically forcing you to use google drive.  HP has 2 2.0 USB ports (in addition to the micro-usb port for video out and charging) while the Samsung has a traditional charger but has 1 each of 2.0 and 3.0 USB ports.

beyond that, the differences are largely astetic with the HP having multiple color choices (and inset colors) plus a light up bar (which can be controlled by apps)

So now its a tough call... I'd like to be able to charge with a standard micro-usb and I think I like the HP's look -- but on the other hand, I don't think I care about the nicer glossy screen and I like being able to have an SD card, even if its just as a method to transfer data without using a 3rd party services.

Also, I've seen great reviews about the trackpad on the Samsung so I'd like to hear how the HP compares once people start using it.

So i don't know...  :dunno:
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 11:26:50 AM »
I really like my Samsung although the charger and the nicer screen would be nice I just don't think it would justify it for me to switch. I might end up getting one for Jensina though so I could do a comparison. Honestly I kind of like the Samsung aesthetics better and the matte screen (and Samsung hardware in general). They really do make fantastic casual computing devices where you need just a bit more than a tablet. I even thought about getting one for the folks for Xmas.
This signature intentionally left blank.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 12:58:09 PM »
We have the Samsung's at work. I really like them.  I don't know if is want it as a personal machine - too limited.  But in many ways, they're perfect for students.
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

drakkenkorin

• Jackass VI
    • http://www.google.com
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 03:40:07 AM »
So now that I've looked at both the Samsung and the HP - I think I'd probably go with the Samsung for purely aesthetic reasons.

The HP looks too much like a toy - IMO.

Either that or I have a thing for plastic that looks like metal.

And yeah, I wouldn't use it as a primary machine - it's mostly to replace the iPad since I only really use it to surf the net.
"I know that when I get home from work, I like to read the paper, sip a nice glass of Cabernet, and call people faggots on the internet.  Because I'm an adult." - Govtcheez