Author Topic: Need a new printer  (Read 4064 times)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Need a new printer
« on: December 30, 2014, 02:35:11 PM »
We have a wireless Canon that I have kind of hated since we bought it ... 3? years ago.  The other day, it just stopped printing red.  Just red.  I did all the cleaning cycles and everything but nothing will change it.  I'm looking at a bunch on Amazon and narrowing it down but I'm curious if you guys have any suggestions beyond these:

Epson 310
Canon MG5520, similar to what I have now

Requirements:

1) Needs to be relatively small
2) Needs to be wireless
3) Needs to have a scanner
4) Needs to print accurate colors

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
Re: Need a new printer
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 02:57:15 PM »
I recommend not having a printer.  Ours ran out of yellow ink and won't let you do shit until you buy more ink.  You'd think it would let you print in grey scale or even just use the scanner but nope.  F that.  Anyway, I haven't even plugged mine in for the last 3 years.  How much do you really print?  Every once in a while I'll print something at work if I need to.  We send photo's we want printed to walgreens and pick them up in 30 minutes for pennies each.  Save the trees and your money.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 03:10:59 PM »
My wife is heavily involved in the PTA and the kid's classrooms and has to print random stuff for that.  She also needs to print things in exact colors for other projects that she is working on.  Also, I work from home at least 1 day/week and I often have to print and wet-sign/scan items.

So yeah, kinda need a printer.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 03:44:20 PM »
I don't hate my HP LaserJet Pro CM1415fnw.  Had it for awhile now (4 years?) and 3 moves and it has held up well.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 09:00:15 PM »
HP has printers with subscription ink.  May be worth a look.

JaWiB

• definitelys definately no MacGyver
  • Jackass V
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 12:24:21 AM »
I've always had good experiences with HP printers too. My friend did an internship at HP this last summer, and apparently they do a huge amount of R&D to develop their ink. Only problem is the business model where the printers are subsidized by the ink sales, so people try to refill with third party ink which generally does not work so well. Not to mention the fact that there's got to be some residue left behind in an empty cartridge, even if you could refill with HP ink

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 12:27:33 AM »
I'm at the point where I replace the printer when the ink goes out.  Tends to be cheaper especially if it isn't just one color.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 09:31:50 AM »
I think that if I needed to print any significant volume in color these days I would invest in a color laser. The ink for the current inkjets is just too damn expensive. That is why I will hold on to my 10+ year old HP 952C. It uses the large 45 and 78 HP cartridges which easily yield 2000 sheets. We use our printer a few times a month.

I also have a pretty decent Epson photo printer but have not used it in a few years.

Other than that, I can't suggest anything else since I've been out of that field for a while.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2015, 01:22:57 AM »
The downside of color laser it that photos look like crap.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2015, 03:27:24 AM »
If you need to do pictures, use shutterfly. Get something cheap. Use it as little as possible
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2015, 11:26:37 AM »
You guys are so far from helpful.  :p

My wife is doing graphic design and has to print out her work and take pictures of it.  So it all has to look nice.  And all of that can require multiple attempts to get sizes right and so on.

Long story short, I bought a Canon Pixma MG7120 (in red): http://www.amazon.com/Canon-MG7120-Wireless-All-In-One-Printing/dp/B00EHDZMAY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420208354&sr=8-1&keywords=canon+7120

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2015, 11:30:51 AM »
I've always had good experiences with HP printers too. My friend did an internship at HP this last summer, and apparently they do a huge amount of R&D to develop their ink. Only problem is the business model where the printers are subsidized by the ink sales, so people try to refill with third party ink which generally does not work so well. Not to mention the fact that there's got to be some residue left behind in an empty cartridge, even if you could refill with HP ink
I looked at a couple HPs and I wasn't satisfied with the features on them.  Plus the reviews weren't what I was hoping.  I've had 3 Canons and they last a reasonably long time and the features seem to be unmatched from what I have seen in my recent dive.  I didn't like some of the downsides of Epsons and I never really liked their printers anyways.  I looked at a Brother model too but there were some lacking features on it as well.

The Canon I currently have that sort of stopped working is going on 3 years which is decent for a printer.  The one I had before that lasted 5 and we mainly replaced it because the scanner broke (although we tried scanning a few thousand pictures in about 3 days... so maybe we worked it to death?).

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2015, 03:17:44 PM »
When you find a home printer that can print on thick cover stock, let me know. Presumably one with a flat rear feeder would work, but when we searched a year or two ago we came up empty.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2015, 03:25:20 PM »
How thick are you talking?  I've used 110 lb on my printer.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2015, 03:34:15 PM »
I forget the numbers... I'm not the designer. :p

Edit: Much thicker than index cards or manila folders, more like cover stock used for flat cards or invitations. So maybe 100lb cover (which is thicker than 110lb index).