Author Topic: STATS ??  (Read 2736 times)

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
STATS ??
« on: February 07, 2008, 09:50:29 AM »
Can someone please please cut and paste the statistics of age group to percentage of PC/Console gamers in that age group?

ie:  Of 12-17 year olds 2% game on a regular basis

I can't research this due to our draconian firewall here at work.

The argument here is, that gaming is limited to the rare person and is neither growing nor common across the US.   :rolleyes:
Thanks.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
Re: STATS ??
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 10:09:07 AM »
Quote from: Entertainment Software Association
TOP 10 INDUSTRY FACTS

1.  US computer and video game software sales grew six percent in 2007 to $9.5 billion – more than tripling industry software sales since 1996.

2.  Sixty-seven percent of American heads of households play computer and video games. 

3.  The average game player is 33 years old and has been playing games for 12 years.

4.   The average age of the most frequent game buyer is 38 years old. In 2007, 92 percent of computer game buyers and 80 percent of console game buyers were over the age of 18.

5.  Eighty-five percent of all games sold in 2007 were rated "E" for Everyone, "T" for Teen, or "E10+" for Everyone 10+.  For more information on ratings, please see www.esrb.org.

6.  Eighty-six percent of game players under the age of 18 report that they get their parents’ permission when renting or buying games, and 91 percent say their parents are present when they buy games.

7.   Thirty-six percent of American parents say they play computer and video games. Further, 80 percent of gamer parents say they play video games with their kids. Sixty-six percent feel that playing games has brought their families closer together.

8.  Thirty-eight percent of all game players are women. In fact, women over the age of 18 represent a significantly greater portion of the game-playing population (31%) than boys age 17 or younger (20%).

9.  In 2007, 24 percent of Americans over the age of 50 played video games, an increase from nine percent in 1999.

10.  Forty-nine percent of game players say they play games online one or more hours per week. In addition, 34 percent of heads of households play games on a wireless device, such as a cell phone or PDA, up from 20 percent in 2002.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 10:21:11 AM »
> 4.   The average age of the most frequent game buyer is 38 years old. In 2007, 92 percent of computer game buyers and 80 percent of console game buyers were over the age of 18.

I wouldn't take this one at face value, especially with #5 in there.  I know that plenty of adults play games, but this stat doesn't differentiate between people buying games for themselves or buying games for their kids.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 12:29:03 PM »
What I think is missing is the percentage of the total population that games.

And of course we do need to specify what type of gaming.  Playing solitare on your PC doesn't make you a gamer.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 12:44:18 PM »
The thing perspective posted addresses that, sort of.
Sixty-seven percent of American heads of households play computer and video games. 
Thirty-six percent of American parents say they play computer and video games.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 01:01:54 PM »
Yeah but those two stats about as clear as mud.

For example you can only have one head of household, but there could be multiple adults living in that household. 

The parents one is interesting but at the same time they don't give any specifics.  Are we talking about teenage mothers and 70 year olds who don't have any children living at home with them? Or are we talking about 18+ years old with a minor child living at home?

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 01:13:05 PM »
I know, but it should be sufficient for knuck's argument that it's not some niche thing that only 43 year old virgins enjoy

I'd be interested to see real numbers, too.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 06:37:04 PM »
Yes Gov.

And.

Thanks for the help!  Much appreciated.  :thumbsup: