Technical & Scientific > Software

Jenkins for personal projects

(1/2) > >>

ober:
So I'm not sure what the possibilities are but I figured I'd ask you guys in case you've done anything similar.  I'd like to automate deployments for my personal projects that I do.  In an ideal world, I'd have Jenkins running either locally or on my web host.  I currently have a reseller hosting account, so I'm limited on what I can install.  What I would ideally like is to have it running on my local machine at home and have it package up a repo on bitbucket and deploy that.  The only thing I'm unsure about is dependencies (my vendor folder).  I assume I could trigger bower/composer from Jenkins on the remote server? 

Maybe I'm asking too much.  I guess I could install Jenkins on the server where the deploy is being done but that seems like a security risk.

Have any of you done this?  Any thoughts?  These are PHP projects by the way.

micah:
I have not used Jenkins personally.  We've talked about it for various things at work but never got around to doing anything I don't think (that might not be entirely true, I think my coworker had it set up to do some automated QA tasks)

What is your current deployment process?   At work we use beanstalkapp.com and for my side hustle I use a combo of bitbucket and deployhq.com.  I tend to do the composer stuff locally and check the vendor folders into my git repo.  But that may not be how the cool kids do it.

ober:
For my personal projects, I'm basic AF.  I just FTP the changes up to the server.  All of my clients have a staging location on their server where I deploy the changes for them to test and then when they green light the changes, I just copy them over to the production site.  Most have a separate DB for each site but I have one that shares a DB between the dev site and prod which requires me to add flags to some of the data so it only appears in specific locations.  That one is my oldest project.  I don't do that stuff anymore.

I want to get more automated, hence the thread.  On one of my newer projects I do not currently check the vendor folder into the repo.  I initially ran composer/bower directly on the server for the initial deploy but I have been just FTPing the more recent changes because something got out of sync.

I'll check out deployhq.com.  Thanks ;)

micah:
I'd also add that for my personal websites I just use GIT for everything.  I develop "locally" (I do all my PHP dev using cloud9) and push to bitbucket.  Then I shell into my webhost machine and git pull the master branch.  its not automated but it works.

ober:
Yeah, I've considered going that route as well.  The only problem is that I have multiple config files (one for each environment: local dev, web test, and production).  I guess I could code it to use the right config file based on URL or something.  Or maybe pull the config file out of the build completely?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version