Author Topic: Ready for 2020  (Read 5032 times)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Ready for 2020
« on: December 19, 2019, 03:07:37 PM »
I swear I either pissed someone off or this is just the worst year ever.  Or maybe the worst quarter ever.  In the last quarter of 2019:

• My kids changed schools because they hated their current school so much (daughter first... then drama for a few weeks until we switched my son as well)
  • I blew out a tire on the highway when I hit a pothole
  • My son got pneumonia
  • The rest of us have been sick for a week or more
  • Wife hurt her back
Just in the past week:
  • Sump Pump died
  • Video card in my computer died (just yesterday)
  • I've been sick since Saturday (same day the sump pump died while I was trying to install a new stove)
  • I was getting a treadmill for my wife (no I'm not an asshole, we sold our spin bike and wanted this instead) and I paid for them to haul it to the second floor but only one old dude showed up so I had to help him drag it to the second floor myself while I was sick... at least I got the money refunded

I'm sure there is more but I'm tired and my brain is shutting down on me.  I just want this year to be over and this shit to be behind me and you all get to hear me rant about it for 30 seconds because I just need to bitch to my internet friends about it.

/done

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
Re: Ready for 2020
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 03:31:46 PM »
Bitch away, that sounds like some really tough week.

Our family was sick for the few weeks following Thanksgiving and we're only now finally feeling better. At some point Casey went on a food strike and was only drinking milk for a week (at 18 months old). At the same time, work was crazy with multiple projects going live in the past two months while I had a brand new employee start two weeks ago. Seriously looking forward to the slowness of next week even with family events going on for Christmas.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2019, 10:14:07 PM »
Thanks Jen.  Sounds like you've had a rough December.  Sorry to hear that.  I hope it gets better!

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2019, 09:06:24 AM »
Give it hell folks!

Bad quarter ahoy.  We went on strike and if you haven't been through it.  There are no words.  As much as I hated it, it was a necessity.  Several awful weeks and emotional hell.  Not only mine but dealing with the many other members while, at the same time training a new financial secretary.  Coming back to work to see that engineering had made an awful mess of the systems we support.  Took us until recently to get most of the damage un damaged.

Sorry to hear your woes Jen and Ben. 

Ben.  What GPU did you get?

/done

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2019, 12:09:11 PM »
My 2019 was weird. Some really bad shit went down but some really awesome stuff started to fill in the void.

I really like my new job.
I'm 7-months into a new relationship with a woman I absolutely love.
As much as they drive me crazy, I'm closer than ever with my kids and have spent so much more time with them this year.
I turned 40 but for the first time in my life feel self confident in myself - in my appearance (so many selfies this year), in my relationships, in my job.

I've learned so much about how love should work and how important trust is.  I've learned that I really do suffer from depression and it's impact has been greater on my past than I ever realized. I know now, though, that I can manage it as long as I work at it, continue counseling, and surround myself with people who love and support me.

2019 was the reboot my life needed. Sometimes, you have to tear down everything and start from scratch. 2020 will be the year to begin rebuilding.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2019, 10:29:47 PM »
Dave, sorry to hear that.  I hadn't heard.  I hope it worked out in your favor.  I'm not surprised the engineers screwed things up. 

I got https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MA62JSZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  Didn't do a ton of research, wasn't trying to break the bank and didn't need to go cutting edge.  I got it yesterday and so far it is a beast compared to the old one (GTX 770).

Micah, I'm glad to hear so much positive!  I'm really happy for you!

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2020, 12:03:17 PM »
I must have missed this thread - sorry for all your troubles Ben, hopefully 2020 is treating you better!

My kids changed schools

that must have been a nightmare - how did you deal with the district? how hard or easy was it to do it behind the scenes?
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2020, 05:46:55 AM »
I think Benny gave me what he had.  Been sick as heck for 2 weeks.  Just beating it down now. 

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2020, 02:45:33 PM »
Sorry to hear that Knuck.  I hope the remaining recovery goes well.  I know I was coughing for a few weeks after too.

@Jake - that was actually the easiest part of all of it.  The old school had a withdrawal form on the website.  One page, took me 3 min to fill out.  Walked into the office, said I wanted to withdraw them and they gave me a badge to go empty their locker and that was it.  It was like they do it every day.  Both kids shadowed at the new school for a day and then it was just a packet of forms that had to be filled out.  Dropped them off on their first day and walked back out.  It was honestly almost too easy?!

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2020, 05:33:37 PM »
Sorry to hear that Knuck.  I hope the remaining recovery goes well.  I know I was coughing for a few weeks after too.

@Jake - that was actually the easiest part of all of it.  The old school had a withdrawal form on the website.  One page, took me 3 min to fill out.  Walked into the office, said I wanted to withdraw them and they gave me a badge to go empty their locker and that was it.  It was like they do it every day.  Both kids shadowed at the new school for a day and then it was just a packet of forms that had to be filled out.  Dropped them off on their first day and walked back out.  It was honestly almost too easy?!
Did you have to show proof of enrollment at the new school?

And yeah, schools deal with withdrawals all the time.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2020, 09:39:46 PM »
Proof of enrollment at the old school?  I don't remember all the forms but it was a lot.  I think all I had to do was say where they were coming from and they said they could grab all the details. The school they are at now is a charter school so they try to make it as easy as possible to switch (I assume).

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2020, 11:53:47 PM »
I don't work enrollments but I think one of the things we at least ask when a student withdraws is what school they are going to.  I know it is recorded but I don't know if it is a time-of-withdraw thing or an after-the-fact thing.

It affects some things (like drop out rates for high school) and we are suppose to report it to the state as well.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2020, 09:35:13 AM »
I think the form did ask where they were going.  Neither of my kids are in high school though so I don't think it's the same level of reporting?  Maybe?

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2020, 10:54:51 AM »
So, this didn't age well

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2020, 02:03:20 PM »
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."