Author Topic: Network Nightmare  (Read 1694 times)

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Network Nightmare
« on: May 20, 2012, 11:29:02 PM »
this is probably something simple I am missing. I am experiencing three issues, probably related.

Setup:

Laptop running Fedora 13
Browser: Chrome and FF

Router: Linksys E1000 V2.1.02

Range Extender: Netgear WN2000RPTv2

The internet works great, except the three issues. These were not present until adding the extender. My connection to the extender, and it's connection to the router, are 100%.

Issue #1:

When Transmission Bittorrent Client is running the internet will sometimes stop working through the browser. This happens maybe 1 of every 10 torrents. The connection is active and the torrent runs just fine, but the browser will not load websites. If you constantly hit retry it will eventually connect, then loose connection on the next action. Closing the torrent program fixes this instantly.

Issue #2:

Firefox will not work at all. Cannot figure out why, I have checked all the settings. Restarting the computer and hardware did nothing.

Issue #3:

I cannot connect to my website server via FTP, and the FTP configuration is confirmed and working. I have tried forwarding ports to my ip address, and I have tried all the settings in filezilla. I even tried setting a DMZ for my laptop, no go.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Re: Network Nightmare
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 11:39:37 PM »
according to

http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

every port i check is closed. They are set to forward though. Here is the filezilla test. I ran it three times. I use the "obtain ip" method because it is dynamic. Anytime i don't use this method it claims ip mismatch.

Connecting to probe.filezilla-project.org
Response: 220 FZ router and firewall tester ready
USER FileZilla
Response: 331 Give any password.
PASS 3.5.3
Response: 230 logged on.
Checking for correct external IP address
Retrieving external IP address from http://ip.filezilla-project.org/ip.php
Checking for correct external IP address
IP 99.38.120.203 jj-di-bca-cad
Response: 200 OK
PREP 58001
Response: 200 Using port 58001, data token 245034649
PORT 99,38,120,203,226,145
Connection timed out.
Connection closed

hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 02:32:56 PM »
bump :(

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 10:27:08 PM »
OK this is making me nuts.

I fixed the FTP issue by using my servers IP instead of the domain. Now on any other internet connection this was not needed.

So with the range extender:

Firefox does not work, though sometimes it works with Gmail. Chrome works perfect.

Torrent works, though sometimes it stops Chrome from working. It always knocks out Netflix.

Aim/MSN do not work at all.

So clearly some traffic does not get through, and the extender itself is limited on configuration. I have called Netgear and they are literally useless. Unless I tell them my name, address, email, and phone number they will not even help me. I gave them fake info (they dont need that stuff) and their help was literally non-existent.

I have posted this on network forums with no replies. Any thoughts guys? Please? I'm pretty good with networking but this has me beat.