Author Topic: Rebuilt My XBox  (Read 1961 times)

Betazep

• Sunk
  • Founders
Rebuilt My XBox
« on: October 08, 2013, 07:35:50 PM »
I had the red ring of death: three red rings.  The secondary code was coming up as problem in the GPU, usually in the cold solder joint due to the heat sink weighing down the GPU into the X-Clamp under the mother board.

I bought a little kit for 12 bucks and went to town.  So far it has been working for a week, and that seems promising.  It would have cost $99 and 6 weeks to get MS to fix the console or give me back a refurbished model...

I don't really want to invest in a new system since I hardly play anymore.  It is mostly my kids these days.
"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents." -Nathaniel Borenstein

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
Re: Rebuilt My XBox
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 09:25:10 PM »
Yeah, when MS sent me a referbished xbox after my red ring, it would accept my hard drive and I had to send it back and get yet another referb.  I'm not really a hardware guy so I didn't even try cracking the case open myself
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."