Author Topic: PC rebuild  (Read 3936 times)

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
PC rebuild
« on: February 14, 2015, 09:31:18 AM »
If anyone is thinking  of getting or building a new PC, if you can wait, do so.

In late Q2 to mid-Q3 Intel is launching the Skylake CPU.  This will be the most significant change in computing hardware since 2005 when DDR 3 made DDR2 obsolete.  Skylake will launch with DDR4.  So what does this mean?  Initially the DDR3 hardware will become much less expensive and that if want to update to the latest that would be the time.

My PC is getting long in the tooth and I need to rebuild.  So I am guessing come Q3, 2015 I will be rebuilding.  New CPU, mobo, cooling solution?? and memory.  I will keep my current case, blu-ray burner, power supply, video card (new), and fans (new).

The operating system is the only real hitch.  Win 8 or 10?  It really depends upon which drivers were used to develop my motherboard.  By then I expect Windows 10 will be most intelligent option.

I will probably build two systems.  One for myself and a nearly identical one for my brother.

Anyone else considering a bump?  Obes since you play BF4 I would guess you are eyeing a GTX 970?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Re: PC rebuild
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 11:47:02 AM »
I read some stuff lately that says the 970 isn't that much of a bump and a lot of people were looking for 770s like mine. I'm more than happy and not looking to upgrade anytime soon.

And I heard it is confirmed that win 8 owners get win 10 for free. So I don't think it matters which u get.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 12:17:28 PM »
I was thinking of upgrading my ddr3 at some point, think I'll continue to hold off another year for the deals you're predicting.  I am probably going to do the free windows 10 upgrade when its released, I'm on 7 now.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 05:22:56 PM »
I was thinking of upgrading my ddr3 at some point, think I'll continue to hold off another year for the deals you're predicting.  I am probably going to do the free windows 10 upgrade when its released, I'm on 7 now.

How would you do that?  Add more?

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 05:58:47 PM »
yes, I mean add more. Upgrading my overall amount of memory.  Sorry if that was confusing  :D
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 06:25:45 PM »
How much are you currently using?

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 06:38:52 PM »
8 which is generally more than enough, but when I have to run virtual machines (when i work from home) and then have lots of stuff like photoshop open it would be nice to have everything stay snappy.   I run 32MB on my Mac at the office.  Its nice. 

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 11:16:48 PM »
8 which is generally more than enough, but when I have to run virtual machines (when i work from home) and then have lots of stuff like photoshop open it would be nice to have everything stay snappy.   I run 32MB on my Mac at the office.  Its nice.

I can see your need.  Be sure to get the same speeds.  The exact same modules would be ideal but is not always possible.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2015, 10:06:01 AM »
You only get win 10 for free if you already have 8.  You can't upgrade for free from 7.

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2015, 10:21:44 AM »
You only get win 10 for free if you already have 8.  You can't upgrade for free from 7.

Quote from: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/about
Free Upgrade Offer
Great news! We will offer a free upgrade to Windows 10 for qualified new or existing Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 devices that upgrade in the first year!

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2015, 10:41:56 AM »
So here is a question for you all:  The even number releases of windows have been crap.  Now that they are skipping 9 to go to 10, does that mean 10 will be awesome and 11 will be crap?

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2015, 11:24:15 AM »
Some software only looks at the first digit to ID OS.  So Win 95/98 would be an issue with Win 9. 

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2015, 11:25:21 AM »
I think the paradigm with shift.  Its sort of an "every other" pattern, the numbers are irrelevant.  Sort of like Star Trek movies, for the first 6 they were numbered and only the even ones were any good; if you include the next generation movies that came after, the pattern continued but they stopped the numbering convention.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2015, 11:51:55 AM »
Well, they did break it with the reboot film