Author Topic: Building a firewall device  (Read 2244 times)

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
Building a firewall device
« on: April 08, 2008, 03:47:33 PM »
In my ever running quest for cheap enterprise solutions to complex enterprise problems I'm wondering about the practicality of building a router/firewall device. I'm finally working for a company that takes uptime seriously and being the good open source utilizer I am I keep trying to come up with reliable alternatives to the really expensive solutions that you don't use 80% of the features for (but still have to pay).
My quest has reached the network access level and so I'm trying to find a bang-for-buck solution for high availability router/firewall solutions.
I question if you can beat something like a Cisco Pix device by simply building a rack server to do the same thing and more (like maybe application load balancing too).

So I'm checking my resources for creative ideas for solutions.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Re: Building a firewall device
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 07:21:49 PM »
If you can build an equal or better solution to theirs for less cost (on your end and the consumers, of course) then in theory you COULD beat them.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?