Author Topic: iTunes and/or WMP freeze when inserting blank CD-R  (Read 2298 times)

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
iTunes and/or WMP freeze when inserting blank CD-R
« on: January 24, 2009, 02:15:33 AM »
I swear I didn't touch my wife's laptop.  This just "happened" on its own...

She wanted to burn a CD, as she often does, but upon putting a blank CD-R into her drive, iTunes froze up and she couldn't eject the CD.  The whole compter froze too -- well sort of. You could move the mouse and navigate the start menu but you couldn't open or close any programs or use the shutdown/restart buttons.

She did a hard reboot and was able to eject the CD.  She tried again with a differnet CD, same result.

iTunes itself seems to be working fine - when there's no CD in the tray.  And the optical drive seems to be working fine as it plays CD's fine as well.

The third time, with another disk, she decided to try burning the disk in Window's Media Player.  After inserting the disk, WMP ejected it and alerted an error about needing to insert a blank disk. 

Any thoughts?
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
Re: iTunes and/or WMP freeze when inserting blank CD-R
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 04:27:40 AM »
What about burning a disk from something else - Nero, or explorer? Does that work?

Oh, and :lol: @ "I swear I didn't touch my wife's laptop."

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 07:48:44 AM »
iTunes definitely has some issues.  I think this last release was kind of buggy.  I find it very crashy in V64.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 10:07:47 AM »
Lmfao....

Ok moving on. Like rob said close down other programs and fire up Nero, roxio, etc and see what happens. Generally speaking if you insert a cdr into a windows machine and it won't eject or causes freeze issues, you have an issue with the software(s) that were running when the cdr was introduced.

When is the last time she burned a cd on the laptop? What has changed since then?
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?