Author Topic: getting rid of the fat  (Read 38114 times)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
getting rid of the fat
« on: March 01, 2012, 02:20:21 PM »
So you fuckers inspired me - mainly Mike and Cheeze for following through with their commitments and Jen for being an exercise freak - to get back in shape. I too, like Mike, have spiralled out of control and today my scale read 323. Yes, I've gained what feels like a ton in the last few years. I'm pretty tall, 6'3"  - and I've always been big. My personal target weight is anywhere from 235-250. I don't know exactly how I'm going to do this yet - but I'm a spur of the moment kind-of person that doesn't make commitments too easily, and before I talk myself out of it I thought I'd share so that you guys can help keep me honest about it. I also set up a commitment on stikk.com. If you want to help me achieve my goal and want to become a supporter, please let me know and I will add you into my commitment.

Anyway. The goal is to be at 250 by middle of September. so there. Now I can begin.   :o
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 04:17:38 PM by Jake »
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
Re: getting rid of the fat
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 02:28:58 PM »
yeah, but you don't have a cool thread about it :)
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 02:29:29 PM »
You said you don't know how yet..any idea?
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 02:53:55 PM »
Awesome... good luck!

75 pounds in 25 weeks seems like a lot, though. Are you sure that's what you want? I'm no expert but everything I've seen says that doing it too quickly just makes it more likely to come back worse later.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 02:58:15 PM »
Awesome... good luck!

75 pounds in 25 weeks seems like a lot, though. Are you sure that's what you want? I'm no expert but everything I've seen says that doing it too quickly just makes it more likely to come back worse later.

you're right, I revised my goal to lose 75 pounds in 35 weeks. Which is just over 2 pounds per week.

>>You said you don't know how yet..any idea?

I think the process is simple...it is commiting to it that I will have a problem with. Smaller portions, more nutritious, more frequently. And exercise.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 03:00:19 PM »
I think the process is simple...it is commiting to it that I will have a problem with. Smaller portions, more nutritious, more frequently. And exercise.
Honestly, if you can get into those habits consistently by the time six months has passed, that's a win no matter how many pounds you lose. The weight loss will come. :thumbsup:

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 03:04:30 PM »
A huge contributor to my unhealthy eating is pop and beer. I gave up pop (and lunches at buffalo wild wings) for lent. Giving up beer will be much harder...

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 03:30:06 PM »
>>You'll lose a lot of weight just cutting out the soda.
>>Soda's the biggest contributor to obesity.

I probably drank 1-3 cans of non diet pop a day...

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 03:54:52 PM »
Things that have helped me (in no particular order):
  • Getting someone to check in with.  And do it regularly (I do mine every 2 weeks).  Doesn't have to be a pro but it should at least be someone who can give useful suggestions.
  • Journal your food.  I'm not that great at it but it does help in keeping you honest.  Plus it helps that person who you check in with.  I started off with weights and measures but now I don't as my portions are about the right size now.
  • MORE WATER!  Seriously, the stuff is great.  Your body needs it and it fills the stomach between meals.
  • Exercise.  I'm digging the CrossFit and it is a good match for me.
  • Use the word diet as a noun.  You are changing your diet not going on a diet.
  • Don't fight/ignore cravings but instead figure out how to fulfill it in a healthy manner.
  • No self flagellation if you fail.

I'll race you to 250 :p

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 03:58:55 PM »
man you guys stink, I'm gonna be the only fat guy left.  :lol:
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 04:01:03 PM »
Join us and we can get a board competition with bets and everything :D

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 04:10:32 PM »
it is tempting... I could stand to lose a few dozen pounds and I could never do it without accountability.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 04:20:17 PM »
Thanks Mike.

I could definately drink more water. for sure.

>>Getting someone to check in with.  And do it regularly (I do mine every 2 weeks).  Doesn't have to be a pro but it should at least be someone who can give useful suggestions

my best buddy is my "referee" on stick.com - I also included my wife and his wife as "supporters" - that should help

Join us and we can get a board competition with bets and everything :D

something like that can be arranged through stickk.com

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2012, 05:44:50 PM »
>>You'll lose a lot of weight just cutting out the soda.
>>Soda's the biggest contributor to obesity.

I probably drank 1-3 cans of non diet pop a day...
Dang. That's a lot of soda.

FWIW, I'm doing 40 days of water for lent and donating what I would've spent to an organization that builds/fixes wells in areas that need clean water.

I think it's my 3rd year, and it's still hard not to just pop in somewhere and order a coffee. One of the things to remember is that it's ok to have a "bad" meal sometimes. Just don't let it become an excuse to binge more.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2012, 08:52:57 PM »
Bet!   Winner gets to choose the losers' username for a month!
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own