Author Topic: this is fucking cool  (Read 8347 times)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
this is fucking cool
« on: July 16, 2019, 12:43:58 AM »
I must be getting old, because my [out of work] internet usage is limited to mainly 2 or 3 youtube channels, amazon, accuweather.com, ES and a single NBA account on instagram where I get my NBA news. But I might have to look for more websites like this! https://www.ocearch.org

that is some amazing stuff. I didn't spend a whole lot of time on it, but wow! over 20K miles in 100 days for some of these fish - that's crazy. I can't wait for my kids to come back so I can show them this stuff.

Anyone else have some internet awesomeness they want to share with me?
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
Re: this is fucking cool
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 02:45:28 AM »
That is a pretty cool site.  The Alligators in Georgia are a nice touch.

I haven't been doing much Interneting recently either. I watch shows on like cwtv.com or the cwseed.com plus netflix. Youtube and google play music.  Facebook, Instagram, Twitter. I keep facebook messenger and google voice text apps open in my browsers all the time (mostly just to text with my girlfriend; I used to message my wife all the time but then I found out she didn't like that and now that we're separated just getting her to reply to me once a day is like pulling teeth. LOL.   But that's about it. For work my google results usually take me to stackoverflow.  Can't think of much else I do online "for fun." Although, I did waste quite a bit of time in the last 24-hours hunting for deals on Amazon Prime-Day.  Bought a couple fairly inexpensive things that I needed anyway (like needles for my insulin pens and some new kitchen utensils. My splurge was an echo dot for my girlfriend because I had planned on it before and the price was down to $22 today for the 3rd gen ones.  oh and I bought some band-aide like patches made to go over my nfc glucose wearable biometric sensor.  Because I can't keep the damn things from falling off. I've never once gotten one to stay on for more than 10 days, let a lone the 14 days it's supposed to stay on for.  This last one made it 6 days.  They cost like $35 each so it kinda sucks.  Anyway hoping these sticker things help next time. 

Sorry, that was a lot of rambling to not give any helpful feedback like you asked. LOL
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 06:08:22 AM »
I still wander the net a lot.  Though I most days I keep it under 10 or 20 sites.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2019, 07:51:01 PM »
so, no awesomeness you guys can point me too?
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2019, 06:04:14 AM »
Been keeping an occasional eye on this, since YT has been getting more and more insane.  https://beta.lbry.tv/

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2019, 04:19:26 PM »
I mean.... reddit?  I can waste hours on reddit just browing through random stories.  I love how it just mixes in content from all these random subreddits.  I subscribe to everything from news to science to technology to 'today I learned' and everything in between.  Endless hours of things to find every day.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2019, 07:34:55 PM »
I mean.... reddit? 

I've never "done" reddit....I mean, sometimes you are inadvertently sent there after a google search, but I think I just don't get how it works...and am not too excited about learning it either :p

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2019, 08:31:17 PM »
You don't understand reddit?  It isn't that complicated.  I probably reddit more than any other social media.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2019, 12:30:35 AM »
You don't understand reddit?  It isn't that complicated.  I probably reddit more than any other social media.
+1

It's simple.  There is a feed.  It starts out with some standard stuff but you can search and subscribe to literally almost anything.  Those articles that get voted up by the community get randomized (or maybe not so random depending on how you sort) into your feed.  Think of it as facebook but your 'friends' are subreddits and people vote on content to push it to the top.  So in theory the most interesting shit is first in your list.  If you dive in, I highly recommend adding on RES (Reddit Enhancement Suite).  Oh and hopefully they let you go back to the old UI.  The new one is garbage.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2019, 08:42:44 AM »
The new one is garbage.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks that.

I also turn off the per subreddit css.  I much prefer to have a consistent look across subreddits.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2019, 09:21:21 AM »
Every now and again Pocket has some interesting stuff but the frequency doesn't seem very high so it's an every few days kind of thing I check it.

https://getpocket.com/explore/trending
This signature intentionally left blank.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2019, 09:42:50 PM »
The new one is garbage.

I also turn off the per subreddit css.  I much prefer to have a consistent look across subreddits.
I don't really have any crazy subreddits that go nuts with the CSS.  The ones that do are pretty subtle.

I notice Jake hasn't posted much since then.  I guess he fell down the rabbit hole.  LOL

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2019, 10:36:29 PM »
Honestly the only internet thing I really do is read twitter and follow occasional links from there. And while I do that every day it's not like I do it a lot. I only follow like 40 people and basically never post.

Beyond that and esink I don't do anything else even once a week.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2019, 12:04:42 AM »
The new one is garbage.

I don't really have any crazy subreddits that go nuts with the CSS.  The ones that do are pretty subtle.

I notice Jake hasn't posted much since then.  I guess he fell down the rabbit hole.  LOL

I /r/random a lot.  There are some subreddits that are pretty terrible with their css.