Author Topic: Moneyball  (Read 1595 times)

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Moneyball
« on: January 19, 2012, 04:23:48 AM »
Great movie, Pitt was of course good as always and Hill played a serious, kind of nerdy role extremely well. Ending pissed me off a little.

9/10
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: Moneyball
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 06:46:43 AM »
I haven't seen the movie, but assuming the ending's the same as the book, what made you so mad about the ending?

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 07:07:49 AM »
At the end they explain what happened to Pitt's character, but they don't mention Hill's. That made me mental because really all that great talent was after all from Hill's character and Pitt's just kind of rode the wave.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 07:35:52 AM »
Hill's character wasn't a real person.  He was based on Paul DePodesta, but wasn't actually DePo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Depodesta

webwhy

• Jackass IV
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 09:07:32 AM »
Hill's character wasn't a real person.  He was based on Paul DePodesta, but wasn't actually DePo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Depodesta

i think you just blew rod's mind

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 01:21:58 PM »
Hebwas real in the movie though, and people will probably really get into his character like i did. And since i dont watch or follow baseball i wouldnt know that.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 08:56:31 PM »
Watched this but can't really give it a score. I read the book and watched many of those games when they happened at the time, so I didn't really get a movie experience out of it. I guess it was good, but it seemed to move slowly for me, probably because I already knew what would be happening. My wife liked it and thought it was paced just fine.

Also, I have no idea why Jonah Hill was nominated for an Oscar for that. What the hell? No wonder he looked so uncomfortable during the awards ceremony. He wasn't bad, but he was just a nerdier Jonah Hill.

By the way, Peter Brand worked under Beane for a few more years before becoming GM of the White Sox. He was fired after two years, but then hired by the Mets and was able to bring them a World Series championship.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 09:56:09 PM »
Except it was Paul DePodesta

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 10:39:13 PM »
And it didn't really happen. I fictionalized it for RoD so he could get some closure with Brand.

You get a pass because your world is upside down, but the Mets winning the Series should have tipped you off.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 01:07:03 AM »
Hahaha oh :(