Author Topic: I finally know what Real Beer tastes like.  (Read 4937 times)

-KEN-

• Some Other Mofo
  • Jackass In Charge
I finally know what Real Beer tastes like.
« on: August 16, 2005, 02:28:22 AM »
I finally went to the English Pub down here. I've known for a while that I could  go (my friend's (more like my friend's friend's) mom works there, and they're very small and friendly, so they don't ID), but I've just now gone.

A lot of my friends were there, especially those who had graduated a year before me, which was a lot of fun. My friend Chris, who is great with things like this, had me come with him to the bar, and pick out a beer.

At first, I admit, I choked: I asked for a bud light, and both Chris and the bartender rolled their eyes. Chris says to me: "No, are you fucking kidding me? Look at your choices. Pick a real beer."

So I see a Heineken tap, and ask for that; I like Heineken, my friend and I drink it a lot.

More eyes get rolled.

"Are you kidding me? Try a real British beer or something...Boddington. It has a lot of head, and a lot of carbonation, but you'll like it."

So I open up a tab and order it. Wow, great tasting beer, but the carbonation is really something else. I'm not sure how much of it I could drink.

By the end of the night I had tried a Snake Bite (good, but too much like champagne), a Black and Tan (good), Newcastle (very good, I thought, especially as a followup to Stella), and some Stella (which I think I'd had before, and was very good.)

I mean, it's not like I'd never tried beers beyond Bud and Miller before, but I'd never tried such a wide variety of beers -- English beers, I guess. Before this, my favorite beer was Labbatt Blue. Now I don't think so.

So I open it up to you guys: what beers should I try tomorrow night when I go? What are your favorites?

Note that Cheez and Axon should STFU about small microbews that won't be available. Elitist jerkbags.

salvelinus

• Founders
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 07:42:40 AM »
The best beer I ever had was a British one called Bishop's Finger. It can't be that microbrew if we used to get it in the supermarket in Petoskey. Came in pint bottles.
Guiness isn't bad for a mass market beer. There was a pub in Detroit that used to serve it on tap with some kind of nitrogen carbonation or delivery system.
Go with the bad joke theory - RoD

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2005, 07:50:35 AM »
Stella sucks.  Heineken sucks.

sand_man

• Super Jackass
  • Jackass II
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2005, 07:56:32 AM »
Australian beer is the best (no not Fosters. There is a reason why we export that shit)

A Bit of Fruit

• loves threads ALL ABOUT HIM!!
  • Jackass V
  • Frontier Psychiatrist
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2005, 08:01:36 AM »
Quote from: sand_man
Australian beer is the best (no not Fosters. There is a reason why we export that shit)

/thread
i have a stationary fetish

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2005, 08:10:32 AM »
Suggestions?

A Bit of Fruit

• loves threads ALL ABOUT HIM!!
  • Jackass V
  • Frontier Psychiatrist
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2005, 08:51:00 AM »
My staple beer would have to be Carlton Draught...thats an exellent beer
i have a stationary fetish

VBprogrammer

• Back on GMT thank god
  • Jackass IV
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2005, 08:57:12 AM »
Deuchars is a local favourite, a few other good Scottish and English beers. Got to give a shout out for belgin beers, over there even the shitiest of small cafes has 20+ beers each with there own special glass, very cool.

-KEN-

• Some Other Mofo
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2005, 12:32:49 PM »
Quote from: Govtcheez
Stella sucks.  Heineken sucks.

I think I've grown accustomed to more bitter beers. Maybe Stella on tap tastes different? It seemed far less bitter than Heineken.

>>The best beer I ever had was a British one called Bishop's Finger.

Hmm...I didn't see it on tap, but maybe there were bottles under the bar. Tonight when that girl's mom works I'm going to have her check for me. Thanks.

>>no not Fosters. There is a reason why we export that shit

Thanks to Stealth's previous rantings, I deftly avoided Fosters.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2005, 01:39:59 PM »
> I think I've grown accustomed to more bitter beers. Maybe Stella on tap tastes different? It seemed far less bitter than Heineken.

I've only had Stella on tap.  It sucked.

> Thanks to Stealth's previous rantings, I deftly avoided Fosters.

Fosters sucks.

incognito

• In the Abis
  • Jackass IV
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2005, 01:51:01 PM »
Well you'll probably won't find it, but Presidente is one of my favorite beers, It's a Dominican beer and theyre' now exporting to the USA, so you may or may not find it.

Ken Fitlike

• Jackass V
  • Ebeneezer McScrooge
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2005, 02:13:58 PM »
Skullsplitter or, if it's too potent, Raven is also a good Orkadian ale.

Take it easy with the real ale, though; unless you do a lot of exercise be prepared to rapidly develop a Homer J. Duffbelly and matching man-breasts.
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?.

-KEN-

• Some Other Mofo
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2005, 02:54:41 PM »
Well I'm only down here until Friday, so I'm not too worried. You'll still find me attractive when I'm a hambeast, won't you? :lick:

salvelinus

• Founders
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2005, 03:40:27 PM »
The Finger and I guess you could check out a bunch of English beers at the site as well.
Go with the bad joke theory - RoD

ygfperson

• Founders
    • Last.fm
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2005, 05:36:21 PM »
my friend's (more like my friend's friend's) mom works there, and they're very small and friendly, so they don't ID

just curious, how is the underage drinking thing there? is it like new orleans (so i hear) or is it like every other college campus where you get caught only if you do something stupid?