Author Topic: Windows registry cleaner  (Read 4666 times)

Micko

• Veseli Bosanac
  • Jackass II
Windows registry cleaner
« on: May 01, 2005, 04:24:00 PM »
Hi, I'm working on my diploma thesis in industrial automation and I had to install some applications. Now I don't need them anymore so I deinstalled them. Since programs are pretty big I notice computer slowdown while working with them ( I have minimal configuration so it's OK). After I deinstalled them my computer is still rather slow and I noticed there are a lot of files left which I manually deleted. I also noticed there are a lot of entries in registry (after deinstalation I got message there are some items left). I don't want to play with registry and I would like to ask you to recommend some utility to do that. I heard for RegCleaner, but need your advice.
Do you know about any registry cleaner program which you can recommend to me?

Thanks

- Micko

Micko

• Veseli Bosanac
  • Jackass II
Windows registry cleaner
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2005, 06:30:47 PM »
Oh, yea on more thing. WinCC aplication made system folder (if I can call it that way) which left after removing application. Here's folder on picture. I cannot open it and it's not needed. How can I remove it? I had similar problems recently when one application left trace in Control Panel, I found appropriate .cpl file and delete it.
(It is visible after opening My Computer)
I don't know how to delete this, if you know please tell me, if not....well, nobody is perfect....:)

- Micko

Ken Fitlike

• Jackass V
  • Ebeneezer McScrooge
Windows registry cleaner
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2005, 11:35:02 AM »
Provided there isn't some process that recreates the folder you could always try a cmd/bat script, invoked on start-up/shut-down, to delete that folder.
Code: [Select]
rem dir_kill.cmd
rd /s/q [i]path_to_directory_to_delete[/i]
As for a recommendation for a registry cleaner application - I'm not in a position to advise there - I'd be tempted to just backup the registry and trash anything that looks half-way suspicious; that job is made easier if an uninstaller that doesn't remove all registry settings is good enough to at least tell you which keys it's left behind.

If that doesn't help and no one else comes forward with a recommendation for a registry cleaner then I suppose you could just try a few out until you find one that works - then post back here with the results of your experiments. :)
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?.

Sang-drax

• You created me, friend, you created me.
  • Jackass IV
    • http://strandmark.com
Windows registry cleaner
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2005, 01:03:30 PM »
Folders like that aren't that easy to delete, Ken. 'My Computer' isn't a normal folder.

Ken Fitlike

• Jackass V
  • Ebeneezer McScrooge
Windows registry cleaner
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2005, 05:30:36 PM »
True, that's probably naive of me but I thought, since it's relatively harmless, that it'd be worth a try...

This msdn article may give you some ideas on how to proceed.
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?.

sand_man

• Super Jackass
  • Jackass II
Windows registry cleaner
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2005, 10:39:30 PM »
I use regclean but I don't know how well it works. It is a (free) MS product so take that how you will.