Author Topic: can't replicate user's ajax cookie loss problem  (Read 1453 times)

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
can't replicate user's ajax cookie loss problem
« on: December 13, 2010, 12:12:00 PM »
I built a site that uses some ajax on the admin side.  There is some pertantent information stored in a cookie that the script needs to read once its been called by the ajax.  This works fine for me using FF, Chrome and Safari on my Mac, and IE6 and IE8 on a PC running XP.

But my client, purportedly running IE8 on XP, is having a problem that seems to be caused by the returned script not being able to read the cookie.

Of course, I can't replicate the problem and its driving me nuts!    There are a few things I've googled that I want to try that could fix it but I need to be able to duplicate the problem BEFORE I try and fix it -- I can't keep going back to the client to ask "does it work now?"

Any thoughts on what browser settings or other factors might cause such an issue?
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

webwhy

• Jackass IV
Re: can't replicate user's ajax cookie loss problem
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 12:14:41 PM »
are the original requests and ajax on the exact same domain? e.g. www.mysite.com and www.mysite.com?

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 12:30:10 PM »
are the original requests and ajax on the exact same domain? e.g. www.mysite.com and www.mysite.com?

Yes. Its a little tricky because its a subdomain, ie "staging.mysite.com" but the paths in the javascript are all relative to the webroot "/" -- I just loaded the page looking at firebug and all the ajax requests are calling scripts local to the same domain (and subdomain). 

If this were the case, would it work in most browsers but fail in my clients?  I'd love to be able to duplicate this, its gotta be something to do with her security or maybe privacy settings.   But getting that info it like pulling teeth. I took a tutorial just to get her to figure out what version of IE she was using.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

webwhy

• Jackass IV
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 12:44:01 PM »
yeah.  have her check her privacy settings in IE8.  if they're different than yours, it would certainly affect how her browser is treating cookies and that's a good place to start

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 04:03:41 PM »
It might also be caused by third party cookie settings. Might want to check that path too. I got bit by that recently for something or other.
This signature intentionally left blank.