Author Topic: Working on my website  (Read 3421 times)

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
Working on my website
« on: July 12, 2013, 12:34:31 AM »
So I haven't really done anything much with my company yet but I've been playing with an idea for a simple single page website and wanted to see what you guys thought. Right now the main website (simplenotions.com) is just the name but I have a possible modification that I'm thinking of releasing.

http://preview.simplenotions-www.appspot.com/

I originally had the text:
simple > complex
less > more
quality > speed

but as I made the left side bold I quickly noticed that reading down the vertical column it said simple less quality and I don't think that's a good thing. I thought about getting rid of less > more but what do you guys think of it the way it is with more < less and simply in place of simple? I'm worried it might be too clever and simply/complex isn't quite the right comparison but it maybe works?

I'm working on a small bit of footer text too but I have a hard time coming up with what to say. Ideally it'll be something about simplenotions being a product company that builds simple products and has a lab/consulting ability in Grails and Python. My wordsmithing takes a while.
This signature intentionally left blank.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: Working on my website
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 12:37:09 AM »
Also, I did this all on my chromebook with just it's Chrome browser so let me know if you guys have any problems with the layouts where it looks funky. I had some initial problems where the layout didn't work on the first load but worked fine after refreshing the page but I think I took care of that now.

It should be left content right justified, centered operator, right content left justified with all of the center operators lined up nicely in the middle.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 09:21:06 AM »
>simply/complex isn't quite the right comparison

I clicked the link before reading your post and thought this, I didn't notice the vertical reading of the words.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 09:24:49 AM »
>simply/complex isn't quite the right comparison

I think its the word "simply" that doesn't work.

you could just say " simple > complex"
or maybe "simplicity > complexity"
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 09:32:53 AM »
I think I'm going to go back to the original words and just change the order and move quality > speed up to the middle.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 05:03:03 PM »
Tweaked it now to change the text back and reorder.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 09:53:40 PM »
the @media queries a good upgrade too
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 11:15:02 PM »
I'm fighting right now with high density stuff. Getting it to look the way I want on all of my devices is becoming a learning experience. I haven't really cared much about the whole high density retina thing but I think I'm going to have to tweak the media queries to support that somehow as it doesn't scale down to high res phone screens like I want and the bigger pain is I can't test it all easily on the chromebook. I'm trying to go without using a css framework but I might be giving up soon. This is why I stay away from UI as much as I can.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 12:45:38 AM »
I think I have it all up now. I forgot to add the viewport meta tag and that was what was causing all of my pixel issues. I'll still probably tweak it a bit more but I'm going to try and focus on writing some footer copy now although I might just roll with this for a little while.