Author Topic: Coronavirus COVID-19  (Read 65046 times)

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19
« Reply #255 on: May 01, 2020, 11:36:56 AM »
So, fortunately, we don't have to worry about employment law since he didn't change his residence.  It becomes more of a departmental policy issue.  Sounds like there are other employees who are working from out of state in order to care for family, but they let the org know about it.  Our manager is gonna handle it from a communications perspective.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #256 on: May 01, 2020, 12:19:28 PM »
You still have physical servers???

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #257 on: May 01, 2020, 02:16:47 PM »
Yeah.  Our production servers are at a collocation and we have an even bigger network at the office for test servers, active directory, and file stores.

We looked at going to AWS ~4 years ago but it fell through because of (blanking on term) the court jurisdiction.  Amazon wanted to keep Washington but our district wanted it to be in California and since we were dependent on the district to approve it we couldn't move forward.  We'll probably look at it again in a few years when we start prepping for the next round of hardware refresh.  The good news is that we are currently using AWS to host our new help videos so we've broken the seal and got a toe into it.

The biggest issue is that if we go cloud we now have student data on those servers and we have to make sure the contracts include protection of that data.

And even once that is done we will still have to have on premise servers for AD because that's a thing apparently.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #258 on: May 01, 2020, 02:47:46 PM »
You still have physical servers???

"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #259 on: May 01, 2020, 04:11:24 PM »
I might recommend Azure.  We're moving all of our stuff (slowly) to Azure.  Better controls, better PaaS overall.  OH, and we recently started using CloudHealth which will help you contain costs.  Love that tool!

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #260 on: May 14, 2020, 02:34:31 PM »
just got off a call with 2 women from work - sales and marketing -- anyway, they were like, "I'm starting to think this whole thing is a hoax." And then the other one said, "I've heard a lot of people saying this is just because wants to put a chip in everyone." The first one replied, "I've heard that too, I tell you, I'll refuse one!"

you can't fix that kind of stupid.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #261 on: May 14, 2020, 03:33:23 PM »
They probably watched that plandemic video too.

Honestly, how can you see what is happening and still think it's a hoax?

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #262 on: May 22, 2020, 12:01:52 PM »
Some interesting results from Indiana's recent study on its state's infection rate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XWbBTwAsUM

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #263 on: June 01, 2020, 02:36:07 PM »
An unexpected side effect of this is that a lot of churches have gone online allowing people out if the area to join in.

A couple of our church members attended a service at one of the Minneapolis congregations this weekend.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #264 on: June 25, 2020, 10:37:55 AM »
Things have already been looking ominous for the last week or so but we are not in a good place in the U.S. with this right now. :(

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #265 on: July 09, 2020, 10:24:19 PM »
how are things by in your neck of the woods?

Some of the activities are back on for our kids, and have been for about a month now. My son is back at BJJ - but it is modified, no grappling or wrestling until at least mid august. Masks optional. he goes 3 times a week now since rock climbing did not restart yet. The BJJ place will have 2, week-long camp sessions starting next week and we signed him up for both to get them out of the house.

My daughter's dance class is also back on - masks optional. Horseback riding is on as well, but due to her arm we are doing another week off from that.

public swimming pools are closed - which sucks. Good thing we have some white privileged friends with swimming pools :D
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #266 on: July 09, 2020, 11:20:00 PM »
Most things are still closed here or still doing remote or severely modified sessions.  A lot of the outdoor sports are going again though.  Our county just went to level 3 of 4 today, which means masks are required.  The next county over which covers downtown Cleveland is noted as 'almost level 4'.  So things are rising.  I suspect things will get tightened up again slightly but not full on lockdown like before.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #267 on: July 09, 2020, 11:31:55 PM »
In my little neck of the woods it is mostly the same as it has been.  However, we are surrounded by counties that have, let's say, less than ideal responses to the outbreak.  As such, we are heading back to more restrictions in a little while.  If only people who fucking wear their fucking masks over their fucking nose and mouths we'd be a lot better off.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #268 on: July 10, 2020, 08:55:16 AM »
Retail has reopened here. Bylaw was just passed requiring masks in all indoor public places and public transit. The only camps that are running are gymnastics and horseback riding.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #269 on: July 15, 2020, 10:03:15 PM »
I had been hoping since there hadn't been much evidence of infection spreading in schools that maybe it might be safe to have partial in-person learning. But the last couple days I've seen several (anecdotal) reports that make that less and less likely.

Our schools open in 3 weeks and they are finalizing plans for the year tomorrow. Meanwhile apparently San Francisco and Sacramento have decided to go full distance learning. Our town hasn't been hit hard and they were thinking of going to a hybrid model but I'm getting more and more pessimistic that they'll be able to pull it off.