Author Topic: Cold brewed coffee  (Read 2108 times)

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
Cold brewed coffee
« on: October 06, 2015, 11:12:23 AM »
I've tried for years to get into coffee as a better coffee delivery (compared to soda) but just couldn't.  About a month ago I got turned onto cold brewed coffee and have really been enjoying it.  I ordered a brew system and it was delivered on Sunday and have been enjoying the results.  You do a coarse grind and basically soak the beans for 12-24 hours (do an entire bag at once) and then filter out the grinds.  What you get is a coffee concentrate you can use as a base.  Since I like cold drinks more than hot I just take a bit of the coffee add water and cream and enjoy it.  The coffee is suppose to last up to two weeks in the fridge and makes about 7 fluid cups of concentrate (unless you screw it up like me and have to put a couple more cups of water in).

Now to go find a good travel mug

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: Cold brewed coffee
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 12:17:56 PM »
I'm not a fan of cold coffee. I feel there is something fundamentally wrong about it. My father gave me a Toddy Coffee maker when I moved out on my own years ago and I used to use it a lot. I find that after about a week though the flavor starts to fall off. You don't need a fancy setup for making cold press though. After watching an Alton Brown episode I just used my french press, and more recently I just use a mason jar, the results are pretty good and much simpler. Just put the grounds in the mason jar, shake it up and leave it in the fridge. Then use a filter to strain it out later, done.

The upside is it's kind of a smoother taste (less acid), but IMO lacks the "body" that something like drip or french press has. It's nice though for work sometimes since all you have to do is add some hot water and you can adjust the ratios to get the strength you desire.

For travel mug, I've heard people recently rave about the Yeti ones.
This signature intentionally left blank.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
Re: Cold brewed coffee
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 12:20:47 PM »
This is the mug of mugs.  Not built for the car but anywhere else it rules.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036231GE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00