Author Topic: Wood chipper  (Read 4933 times)

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
Wood chipper
« on: April 14, 2020, 12:12:09 PM »
Anyone have or have owned a wood chipper?  Trying to get thoughts from people who have actually owned one for moderately sized property usage (compared to ones trying to clear acreage and take out trees)

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
Re: Wood chipper
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 11:20:16 PM »
How much use do you think it would actually get on an annual basis? Wood (pun intended) it be better to rent one for spring cleanup each year?   Long run, I'm sure that would cost more but you wouldn't have to worry about storage and maintenance. 
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 11:28:02 PM »
I'm thinking we'd probably use it monthly or bimonthly.  Partially to breakup the materials going into the compost pile.

Quick searching looks like the rental runs about $125 and I'm not sure if that includes delivery (probably not).

Thought, it probably wouldn't be bad for the initial cleanup as I could actually use a bigger one than I would need for ongoing maintenance.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2020, 10:55:21 AM »
Never owned a wood chipper or even used one.  My neighbor has taken most of my spare wood to burn in his back yard or take to a campground where he has a trailer.  And growing up we burned everything because we had a wood furnace.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2020, 01:02:23 PM »
like any machinery with a small gas engine, if you buy a cheap one, you will not be happy with it because it will be more trouble than not.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2020, 05:49:10 PM »
Never owned a wood chipper or even used one.  My neighbor has taken most of my spare wood to burn in his back yard or take to a campground where he has a trailer.  And growing up we burned everything because we had a wood furnace.

Riiight....see any of Obes' enemies?  "even used one"   :rolleyes:

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2020, 05:50:09 PM »
like any machinery with a small gas engine, if you buy a cheap one, you will not be happy with it because it will be more trouble than not.

True.  Like most machinery that takes a beating or can plug.  Get a good one and be damned safe around it!

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2020, 09:48:15 PM »

Don't cross me.  That's all I'm sayin.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2020, 10:26:05 AM »

Don't cross me.  That's all I'm sayin.

this thread keeps popping up next to mine...so many fargo jokes i want to make.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2020, 11:49:30 AM »
I'm all about Fargo jokes!

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2020, 07:20:45 PM »
So, had an arborist out to deal with a broken tree and got a quote for chipping my wood a good amount of my wood pile and it was $275 but that includes the labor and all that.  So, probably going to stick with that for awhile.  While I think it could be handy I've got the room to just cut things to smaller size and pile it up and have them come out and do it.

He did say that most people are surprised about how little chips they get.  Like, I have a good size pile of branches from that broken tree and he said it'd be about a wheelbarrow full.  Oh, and he said he can bring me more chips when they come if I want them.  It saves them on the dump fees.