Author Topic: Ready Player One  (Read 7654 times)

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
Ready Player One
« on: October 17, 2012, 10:50:36 AM »
I can't believe we don't already have a thread for Ready Plater One by Ernest Cline...Anyone else read it?

...massive full VR MMORPG becomes the center piece of world culture amid financial and societal collapse, the creator dies, and leaves his entire fortune to whoever first follows the clues to complete quests that lead to the easter egg he's hidden in the game...Oh and the creator is culture from his 1980's teenaged years. 

The plot is a bit predictable, but it's basically a love note to the 80's.  I did the audiobook which was read by Will Wheaton (perfect part for him).  It was so much fun to listen to. 

It's a short fast book.  The audio was 16 hours long...I started it sometime Saturday afternoon, and finished it yesterday on my morning commute.  If I wasn't working or with others, I was listening to it.  It was one of those rare audiobooks where I happily laid in the dark for hours listening to it.

9/10
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

Betazep

• Sunk
  • Founders
Re: Ready Player One
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 08:44:37 PM »
My brother-in-law told me I had to read it next...
"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents." -Nathaniel Borenstein

Betazep

• Sunk
  • Founders
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 08:40:26 PM »
I finished this a month back.  (I bought this and the two Patrick Rothfuss books on amazon.) Superb book.  I think I might go back and do the audiobook.

It reminded me of Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson.  (which he actually references in the book...)  All the 80s throwbacks were amazing for me... and I am a huge Rush nerd.  So that was nice too.

READ IT!
"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents." -Nathaniel Borenstein

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 09:34:55 PM »
HAHA!  Yes!  Audiobook by Wil Wheaton is definitely worth it - might be my next relisten...
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 06:16:55 AM »
Wil Wheaton?  Um.  No.  Thanks.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 10:46:47 AM »
Eyeroll

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2019, 11:37:03 PM »
Eyeroll

was the eyeroll because there was already another thread that you started the year before?  Or because Wil Wheaton read the audio book? 
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2019, 06:02:32 AM »
I did read the audio book.  Yeah.  I liked it.  Happy Kerm?