Author Topic: Gardens  (Read 7741 times)

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Gardens
« on: March 18, 2012, 07:28:27 PM »
So, who's got them? This is my first year doing one of my own as opposed to helping other people with theirs. Going to plant some squash, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, watermelon, and maybe even some corn. Probably some other stuff, Ashley hasn't really spoken up yet about what she wants in there.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
Re: Gardens
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 09:18:50 PM »
we mostly do tomatoes; also cucumber and green onion. Tried other stuff but it is hit or miss - like peppers. We also have red and black currant, gooseberry, a shit load of blackberries, raspberries, and grapes. We had strawberries but not this year because we decided to do some pavers there...
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 10:31:08 PM »
Peppers, of course! We use a ton of those. Im not expecting any growing issues. Our lawn holds quite a bit of water, im actually hopig this will soak some up from rains. And the sun is pretty great here, mix of sun and shade.

Fingers crossed! Tomorrow i need to put the fencing up keep the critters out
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 08:12:40 AM »
Squash or zucchini are cool, but you have to be careful or they'll take over your whole damn yard.  We have a 4x8 plot and usually grow tomatoes, peppers, and green beans.  Last fall I planted a raspberry bush so I'm looking forward to seeing that come in this year, too.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 09:05:25 AM »
i live in an apartment.  :(
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 09:34:46 AM »
i live in an apartment.  :(
Unless you don't have a balcony, you can still grow stuff in planters.  We did when we lived in an apt.

We have a garden, but I don't know that we're going to use it this year.  Last year was a disaster.  Probably because it was so wet. 

Things we've had success with:
Zucchini
Butternut squash
Green Beans
Cherry Tomatoes
Jalepeno peppers
Habanero peppers

Things that have failed:
Broccoli
Watermelon
Carrots
Cauliflower

Watermelon is hard to grow, which I found out after the fact.  Broccoli/Cauliflower are also hard because it can be good one day and past it's prime the next and you also have to plant it at pretty much the exact right time in the right conditions.  I think the ground in our garden wasn't loose enough for Carrots.  They grew but they were stunted.

Be careful with tomatoes.  You don't need many plants to grow a shitload of them.  Zucchini is by far the easiest and can be used in sooo many things.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 11:26:11 AM »
>>green beans

oh yeah, we do those too. Great investment!
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 11:59:29 AM »
Things that have failed:
Broccoli
Watermelon
Carrots
Cauliflower

Are all a pain in the ass and IMO not worth the effort.  Carrots were the worst.  The nightmare creatures that came out of our last garden looked like demon spawn.  Gives me shivers thinking about it.

Tomatoes, onions, beans, peas, peppers, potatoes, and Brussels sprouts all rocked.  Onions were by far my favorite.  We replanted them over and again we went through so many.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 12:04:07 PM »
Things that have failed:
Broccoli
Watermelon
Carrots
Cauliflower

Are all a pain in the ass and IMO not worth the effort.

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 03:33:39 PM »
So I'm curious, do you guys have some elaborate fencing system around your gardens? Anything we plant other than perilla gets eaten up before they are worth picking.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 03:36:14 PM »
Not elaborate, but I do have some short fencing around mine.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 04:22:37 PM »
None around mine but we have fence around the whole yard.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 04:23:48 PM »
None around mine but we have fence around the whole yard.

that.

When we tried growing carrots, lettuce, and other crap like that I put up fencing around it...but since that whole crop didn't wokr out too well, I took it down.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 05:30:58 PM »
I have had the opposite experience with Watermelon. In my dad's garden and in Pat's the past few years it has grown wonderfully. Hoping to have the same experience this year.

So far we have:

Watermelon
Cherry Tomatoes
Squash
Yellow/Red/Green peppers
Cucumbers
Habanero peppers (thnx for the idea obes)

So I'm curious, do you guys have some elaborate fencing system around your gardens? Anything we plant other than perilla gets eaten up before they are worth picking.

I have an 8 x 10 plot, and around it every 2 feet are wooden stakes. Then going around those is three levels (top, middle, bottom) of regular white string. Then as a lost barrier (more for wind, the string seems to keep bunnies and things out) is a wrap of orange snow fencing.

The whole fence is about 2.5 feet tall and there is a section of orange fence that opens up so you can step in over the string.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2012, 09:58:15 PM »
treated the soil in the garden today and got some seeds planted inside in the starter pots!

Excited.