Author Topic: Another camera lens  (Read 2388 times)

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
Another camera lens
« on: February 25, 2016, 12:11:19 PM »
Got a Sony SELP18105G coming today. Probably don't actually need it since I have other lenses that fill the focal distances but I got it more in hopes that for many situations I could get by with just this lens or maybe this one and my 28mm. I really like my 16-70 which is the lens that stays on the body the most but 70 just isn't enough reach sometimes and jumping to the 70-200 just seems a bit excessive unless I'm doing sports stuff or outside at a distance with my pup.

So I'm excited to see if I've wasted a bunch of money or if this will be a nice useful casual lens to drag around. I'll have to let it acclimate a bit so I probably won't be able to play with it until later tonight but that should be good to see how it does in evening lighting conditions which I'm guessing will be it's least flattering.

I'll probably play with it this weekend since it looks like we'll have some nice weather. So I'll throw up some pictures later.
This signature intentionally left blank.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: Another camera lens
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 11:11:39 PM »
Initial impressions are pretty good. The thing is pretty heavy but that's to be expected given it's really nice range. Unfortunately I was only able to take some shots with my living room lighting but I'll grab some other stuff this weekend. I think I'm going to be pretty happy with this lens though. It is really nice to have the additional reach. I don't think I'll be getting rid of my 16-70 since that's really a beautiful lens but I think one could be very happy with this lens and whatever prime they like best, mine is the 28mm f2. Still this one should be really convenient to bring to family stuff and other outings when I want to keep the kit portable.

I also got the Domke F-8 bag and while very little, it fits this lens on the body and has enough space in the main compartment to have one or two primes if you lay them horizontally. Or this lens vertically and the body with my 28mm on it on end. So that's pretty much exactly what I was hoping for. The pockets on the side are could enough to carry some cloths and batteries too, not sure I can get a rocket blower in there though, maybe just one prime and the blower though.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: Another camera lens
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 09:16:11 PM »
Brought the 18-105 to a baptism today and I'm very pleased with the results. It's a big lens, there's no doubt about that but it's super versatile. The range on it is really amazing. It's too bad I couldn't drag out my 16-70 too but I didn't want to bring a bunch of stuff. The f4 forces a bit higher ISOs but the nice thing is the A6000 is pretty good even up to 3200. Outside in good light though this thing is really great. It was very nice to be able to stand towards the back of the room out of the way and still get nice tight shots. I think the 16-70 is a bit better walk around kind of lens but I'm happy with this one too and I think there's a place for both of them.