Author Topic: New Eagles  (Read 1493 times)

stealth

• Jackass V
  • Now comes in 32 flavors
New Eagles
« on: November 01, 2007, 09:13:03 PM »
Picked up the new Eagles double CD - Long Road Out of Eden.  I've been a casual fan of theirs over the years, and some of the first songs I learnt to play on guitar were theirs (Take it Easy, One Of These Nights) and of course, there's that other song which is either great or terrible depending on your view and how many times you haven't heard it. 

It sort of reminds me of their early stuff (Busy Being Fabulous, Waiting In the Weeds), with a bit of an effort to contemporise their sound (The title track - which is worth the price of the album alone - and Business As Usual) and some covers which sound like great (How Long, Guilty of the Crime).  It's the Eagles, it is what it always has been - middle of the road country rock, good harmonies, understated guitar work from Frey and Walsh and solid rhythm (Henley still has it, Schmit's bass playing fits like a glove in between his grooves). 

It was never going to be better than their old stuff - but it's a pretty decent job, and in no way a musical crime that some critics are making it out to be.

Maybe it's a little dated because nobody is making music like this anymore, but that's refreshing in it's own right.  It's music that isn't going to change the world, but who cares? 7/10

stealth

• Jackass V
  • Now comes in 32 flavors
Re: New Eagles
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 07:24:43 AM »
Only in the US, elsewhere Universal are the distributor.