Author Topic: Work related communication tools  (Read 11434 times)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Work related communication tools
« on: January 27, 2016, 09:43:18 AM »
we have a whole hipchat chat-room dedicated to this show at work.  I haven't seen it.
Slack > Hipchat
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 10:07:22 AM by Jake »

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: Re: Work related communication tools
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 05:59:03 PM »
Ryver > Slack
Geeez. http://www.ryver.com/ryver-vs-slack/

Seriously, I'm not sure Ryver is better. We've been using it lately with a client and Slack has a much better UI. Ryver has some good additional features but I can't say I actually like it better. Even Hipchat has a better UI feel.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 10:08:55 AM by Jake »
This signature intentionally left blank.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 06:58:18 PM »
Ryver > Slack
Geeez. http://www.ryver.com/ryver-vs-slack/

Seriously, I'm not sure Ryver is better. We've been using it lately with a client and Slack has a much better UI. Ryver has some good additional features but I can't say I actually like it better. Even Hipchat has a better UI feel.
Yea, slacks gotten some major press/steam in the last year or 2 (and I'm not actually familiar with Ryver) but my teams been on hipchat for a while and now its use is being mandated company wide with the new work-from-home policy.  Plus we're kinda already in the Atlassian echo-sphere, using JIRA and Confluence (and soon probably switching to bitbucket from beanstalkapp)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 10:09:02 AM by Jake »
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 08:19:32 PM »
Micah, mind if I pick your brain regarding atlassian?  I've used Jira at other places but we are more interested in the entire ecosystem to try and get things talking to each other more automagically
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 10:09:12 AM by Jake »

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 08:13:36 AM »
Slack is used by roughly half of our company.  Unfortunately our main IT manager hates it because she claims she never gets the notifications (but I don't think she used the Windows app, which I love).  So she won't officially endorse Slack so we still have random people on random IM clients which is annoying.  So I run Pidgin and Slack.

At work we use Mercurial which is tied directly into our ALM (CodeBeamer).  I use Bitbucket for my personal projects though and I like it.  I use the SourceTree app to interface with it.  It's ok... better than Tortoise Workbench.  But we also use a mercurial plugin for Eclipse which has a really nice integration.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 10:09:25 AM by Jake »

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 09:53:45 AM »
We use Google hangouts for chat.  The only downside is that there isn't logging/history like there is on other platforms but it works well for our usage.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 10:09:32 AM by Jake »

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
Re: Work related communication tools
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 10:10:24 AM »
we are on the MS bandwagon and use skype.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 10:55:51 AM »
Slack is used by roughly half of our company.  Unfortunately our main IT manager hates it because she claims she never gets the notifications (but I don't think she used the Windows app, which I love).  So she won't officially endorse Slack so we still have random people on random IM clients which is annoying.  So I run Pidgin and Slack.

At work we use Mercurial which is tied directly into our ALM (CodeBeamer).  I use Bitbucket for my personal projects though and I like it.  I use the SourceTree app to interface with it.  It's ok... better than Tortoise Workbench.  But we also use a mercurial plugin for Eclipse which has a really nice integration.

What. The. Fuck. Is this English?

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 12:58:03 PM »
We use Google hangouts for chat.  The only downside is that there isn't logging/history like there is on other platforms but it works well for our usage.

You can enable that.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 01:32:27 PM »
When did they add that?  And have they setup permanent hangouts?  Only way I know how to do that is to schedule them far in the future (or repeated events)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2016, 01:40:36 PM »

Indeed it is.  Which part do you need translated?

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2016, 01:56:31 PM »
Mike you mean for like the group hangouts not the IM hangouts? I think you can still see them in your hangout history. Whenever I do a hangout I see the "you were in a video call" or with IM I can read back quite a way in the chat history.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2016, 01:58:50 PM »
With my gmail I enabled something that made them searchable too but I don't know where that is in inbox now, I think I might have lost it, or I don't know how to do it.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2016, 03:11:04 PM »
Mike you mean for like the group hangouts not the IM hangouts? I think you can still see them in your hangout history. Whenever I do a hangout I see the "you were in a video call" or with IM I can read back quite a way in the chat history.
Yeah, group hangouts not chats.  What I'm saying that hangouts doesn't have is a room history where even if you weren't in the room at the time you can go back and see what was said.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2016, 07:01:30 PM »

Indeed it is.  Which part do you need translated?

Pidgin
Slack
Mercurial
ALM
CodeBeamer
Bitbucket
SourceTree
Tortoise Workbench

(But please don't actually translate these... I won't remember anything you say anyway.)