Author Topic: Coronavirus COVID-19  (Read 65021 times)

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19
« Reply #240 on: April 24, 2020, 01:24:29 PM »
Not sure if this should go in the COVID thread or the election thread  :rofl: https://t.co/0EDqJcy38p

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #241 on: April 24, 2020, 01:30:44 PM »
Not sure if this should go in the COVID thread or the election thread  :rofl: https://t.co/0EDqJcy38p
Hmmm how about the "Today I got pissed because......" thread?  Or the next-to-be-created "I'm losing all hope for humanity" thread.

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #242 on: April 24, 2020, 02:07:43 PM »
Hmmm how about the "Today I got pissed because......" thread?  Or the next-to-be-created "I'm losing all hope for humanity" thread.

It seems pretty par for course in terms of words coming from his face though.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #243 on: April 24, 2020, 02:33:52 PM »

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #244 on: April 24, 2020, 04:52:15 PM »
Lol...tears
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #245 on: April 26, 2020, 03:42:05 PM »
we came back home on Friday and we'll see how this week goes
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #246 on: April 26, 2020, 04:56:05 PM »
So while all this is going on, we've had some projects that we're trying to finish on the house.  Not sure if I mentioned it or not but we did a bunch of work in our kitchen at the end of last year.  It all looked really dated (honey oak cabinets, really old countertops that were busted up in a few places, etc.).  We had a carpenter come in and add crown molding to the cabinets and added a bunch of molding to the island to make it look more like a piece of furniture than a basic couple of cabinets slammed together.  Then we had quartz counters put in.  Then we had a painter come in and paint it all white.  We replaced the stove (went from gas to electric), replaced the fridge that was basically falling apart after 14 years, and replaced the microwave with one that was about half the height (which I didn't know existed previously and it's amazing!). 

Anyways, the last piece was backsplash.  We haven't been able to find a tile that we like but did a lot of online shopping and found one and ordered a sample and we really like it.  Oddly enough, we got it from Home Depot as a special order.

I had also placed an online order for some of the materials (mastic, sealer, etc.) and went to Lowes last night to pick it up.  It's really weird because I haven't really been anywhere but the grocery store since this all happened.  About half the people had masks, half didn't.  All the registers now have plexi-glass everywhere and a lot of the staff were wearing masks and/or gloves.  I think most of the people there to shop didn't really give a shit about any of it.  I did notice as I was leaving that they apparently hit some sort of capacity because they were stopping people from entering until someone left.  I guess that's new?  There were a lot of cars in the parking lot so I know there must have been at least 100 people inside. 

I had my wife with me but she stayed in our car.  I wore a mask the whole time but not gloves.  We went to a park afterward for a long walk which was nice because the weather was perfect.  Again, about half the people had masks, the others seemed oblivious. 

This whole thing just seems odd and only half-followed.  Granted, we went to an area where I expected less people to be following guidelines just because the general IQ over that way is probably a good 20 points lower than other surrounding cities... but still.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #247 on: April 27, 2020, 08:48:57 AM »
Not surprised that half the people in Lowe's act as if nothing is happening. I have a friend who is a welder for a big construction company. He says it's just work as usual there. No social distancing, no guidelines from management, everyone works in close quarters, eats lunch together etc.. So if you're in the trades you probably don't feel the differences as much as us office workers that are stuck at home all day.

Our grocery stores also have plexi glass at the checkouts, capacity limits, and most people wearing masks. It's a little crazy to see.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #248 on: April 29, 2020, 09:52:27 PM »
So, just found out that one our programmers has been working from a different state during the lock down.  And it is the one that hasn't been doing well professionally and we are having to devote a significant amount of time to try and bring up.

I'm not entirely sure what to think about it honestly.  Like, if we are all working remotely does it really matter where?  But he never communicated that to me nor our manager.  And, employment laws across states need special attention.

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #249 on: April 30, 2020, 08:11:01 AM »
Apparently one of my husband's coworkers has been working from Florida for the last two months. They decided they were going to take a vacation before everything happened and then decided to just stay there when things started locking down. I figure this particular's person's primary residence is not Florida so they're still getting paid their normal way. The company also has employees working from everywhere though so I guess they have employment law figured out?

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #250 on: April 30, 2020, 08:42:39 AM »
Why would someone voluntarily stay in the clusterfuck that is Florida during this mess?  Like, do they want to catch it?

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #251 on: April 30, 2020, 11:18:52 AM »
yeah, when it comes to employment law, I have no ideas if its a big deal or not.

But I will say, I spend a lot of my working time at my girlfriend's house, which is over state lines and, at my last job, there were a couple of times when I "worked from home" at my parents house in PA and never mentioned to anyone that I was 6 hours from the office.  Seem's like it shouldn't be a big deal  :dunno:
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #252 on: April 30, 2020, 12:11:40 PM »
I don't see how it is a big deal either, especially due to the once in a life time circumstance.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #253 on: April 30, 2020, 07:37:41 PM »
My boss moved across the country after the new company that bought us out closed our office. He did eventually let them know and they fired him, but I think he preferred that anyway (he was ready for retirement).

But I don't see any issue with it at all if that's not their permanent address. If it is, then HR needs to know, but otherwise who cares? I've had co-workers work from other countries without it affecting their performance.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #254 on: April 30, 2020, 10:54:32 PM »
> If it is, then HR needs to know, but otherwise who cares?

Employment law might.  And we aren't set up to handle out of state employees.

Also, there is still a requirement in our job duties to be able to do physical server and infrastructure maintenance.  Can't really do that if you are 10 hours away.