Author Topic: CB Radio  (Read 3883 times)

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
CB Radio
« on: January 18, 2011, 08:47:16 PM »
I'm bout to stick a Cobra CB Radio in my jeep. Anyone use these? Micah maybe? Looking at advice for getting into conversations with people. The main reason for having it is entertainment, but would be cool if it could be used in case of emergency, or while out in the woods.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Re: CB Radio
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 08:57:29 PM »
ever seen joyride?
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 09:23:38 PM »
Citizen Band is lame.  Get a Technician Class Amateur radio license.  You'll find a lot more people to talk to and, even on relatively short range bands, thanks to the extensive repeater network, you can get much greater distances than with CB.   In an emergency, coordinated communications are done on the amateur bands and, in a personal emergency (such as getting lost in a wilderness out of cellphone range) you're more likely to tap into a repeater or monitored amatuer band than happen upon a trucker zooming by.

I used to work at THE national association for amateur radio and their website is a wealth of info on getting started: http://www.arrl.org/licensing-preparation-exams
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 09:35:04 PM »
doesnt that cost money and require a test? ugh lol

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 09:39:37 PM »
the test is around $15 unless you can find an authorized examiner to administer it for free (which is pretty much impossible.)  The license itself I think is free and good for 10 years (or maybe it costs like $12, I don't remember)  The test is easy though.  10 year old girls do it all the time.  It seems daunting at first but once you review the materials and take a few online practice tests, you'll basically have all the questions memorized, I aced mine.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 09:44:48 PM »
Thats not bad. If you knew how many license's i had to test, pay for, and now carry you would see why i dread it lol.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 10:09:54 PM »
The test is easy though.  10 year old girls do it all the time.
So RoD is screwed then?

I remember the increase in prostitutes on CB 18 as we neared the borders of Nevada when I went back to visit my dad in Utah.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 11:07:36 PM »
He lived in Ogden.  He know lives in TN.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 09:42:25 AM »
I had a CB in my car for a long time.  I used it the most when traveling between my parent's house and college.  It was entertaining to listen to the truckers plus you always knew where the cops were.  I didn't really talk all that much but every once in a while you get someone that's really bored and tries to strike up a conversation.  I'd say just sit back, watch and learn for a while.

Oh, and truck stops usually have at least one prostitute on the horn.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 09:43:51 AM »
TN is a beautiful state. I spent some time there on my drive back from Biloxi.

And CB Prostitution? Kinda funny i am suprised by that because i never thought of it, but with all the truckers it makes sense.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 10:25:10 AM »
They use CBs on engineering data gathering trips here.  I know that they constantly have issues with them working properly.  I think they recently employed a couple of new techniques to help with the issues.  I will try to remember to ask what they did to address the issues.

Dumah

• Jackass IV
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 10:50:34 AM »

No pun intended?

webwhy

• Jackass IV
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 11:06:00 AM »
And CB Prostitution? Kinda funny i am suprised by that because i never thought of it, but with all the truckers it makes sense.

RoD's world horizon has broadened...

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 11:13:33 AM »

No pun intended?
LOL... no intentional pun intended.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 05:36:28 PM »

RoD's world horizon has broadened...

Prostitutes disgust me, and i'm happily engaged