Author Topic: Don't look now (MLB)  (Read 10645 times)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Don't look now (MLB)
« on: April 19, 2011, 08:56:14 PM »
... the Cleveland Indians have the best record in the AL and are tied for best in the league. 

Suck it Detroit!

:o I'm sure it won't last long.   :(

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Re: Don't look now (MLB)
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 09:13:28 PM »
Baseball, the never ending borefest
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 09:15:16 PM »
real happy for your bandwagon team ben

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 08:06:13 AM »
meanwhile my actual team that i've rooted for my whole life fucking sucks

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 08:30:43 AM »
How exactly are they a 'bandwagon' team?  I didn't start rooting for them when they started winning.  They have only had one decent year since I moved here.  And I refuse to support my former team so I needed a new one anyways.  :p

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 08:45:44 AM »
They are not the team you grew up rooting for so that makes them a False Team.  I'm sorry, I don't make the rules.

I'm surprised you're not run out of town for being a Cleveland fan in baseball and a Pittsburgh fan in football.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 09:13:16 AM »
So no one can ever switch teams?  Regardless of how shitty the team is or how fucked the management is?  Fuck that rule.

There are tons of Steelers fans here.  It's not really that big of a deal.  I probably see just as many if not more Steelers fans as I do Browns fans.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 09:17:19 AM »
> So no one can ever switch teams? 

Not unless they move or get contracted.  If you move you can pick up a team as a sub-team but you have to rep your primary team til the day you die.  Sorry bro, that's just the way it is.

> Regardless of how shitty the team is or how fucked the management is?

Hi, Lions fan here.

>I probably see just as many if not more Steelers fans as I do Browns fans.

Wow, really?  I thought that'd be punishable by death in Cleveland.  Like wearing a UM hat in Columbus kind of an offense.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 09:26:53 AM »
I moved.  Hence, I fit into that category.  Fuck the Orioles.

Yes, you're a Lions fan, but you haven't moved so you have no reason to change teams.

Yes, really.  And we acknowledge each other in public like it's a badge of honor.  There are actually more Steelers fans in my office than Browns fans.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 09:41:19 AM »
But I've also had to endure possibly the worst GM in sports history and the most futile season ever.  The Orioles management isn't nearly that bad, they're just forced to play in a division that's very good

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 11:53:07 AM »
How exactly are they a 'bandwagon' team?

You're not a bandwagon fan. That's the wrong term because as you say, they aren't winning anything. But there's a chance you are breaking a fan rule. I'm going back and forth.

Not unless they move or get contracted.  If you move you can pick up a team as a sub-team but you have to rep your primary team til the day you die.  Sorry bro, that's just the way it is.

There can be other reasons besides moving. If you hate Michael Vick you can stop being an Eagles fan. If you don't hate black people you can stop being a Clippers fan. Basically if the owner of the team does some super shitty things or there are players that are really bad people that you can't stand to root for, then you can also stop rooting for the team. Also, it depends on how deep your fandom was growing up. If you were a casual fan of the local team growing up but then after you moved you started getting into the sport more, you don't have to stick to your original team.

So no one can ever switch teams?  Regardless of how shitty the team is or how fucked the management is?  Fuck that rule.

Sorry, ober. You're not allowed to switch teams just because the old one sucked and you moved closer to another one. Fucked up management is a maybe, though, but they'd have to be more than just not good at what they do. I'm not sure that applies to the Orioles.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 12:02:21 PM »
I never switched.   Detroit and MSU all the way.  Fuck UofM and Notre Dame.

That said I do back Pittsburg Teams (not Philly) and Penn State up and until they go up against Detroit / MSU.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 12:39:08 PM »
I would never have called myself a 'hardcore' Orioles fan.  I followed Cal Ripken because that's what you did as a kid where I grew up.  I went to a handful of games over the years when the situation presented itself.  The only thing I ever owned with Orioles stuff on it was a hat that was given to me.  I followed them because that's the team that I could watch on TV and listen to on the radio.  I started hating them when Peter Angelos started trying to run the team instead of his GMs.  Anytime they got some talent they would let them leave and the team would suffer.  Over and over and over.  More so than any other team that I watched.  That was my issue.

Since moving to Cleveland, I've been to several games and actually enjoy watching them.  I have several articles of clothing and shit of the Indians.  I still don't think I would consider myself a 'hardcore' Indians fan.  In fact the only sport where I'm a hardcore fan is the NFL (Steelers). 

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 02:26:09 PM »
By the way... I couldn't give two shits about how people choose to enjoy their sports. It's just fun to argue about "true" fandom.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, 02:33:25 PM »
> By the way... I couldn't give two shits about how people choose to enjoy their sports.

Well sure, any well-adjusted person would be the same way.  I just like giving ober shit because he gets so defensive about it.