Author Topic: Crossfit  (Read 14772 times)

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
Crossfit
« on: July 14, 2011, 10:32:19 PM »
I know there are widely varying opinions on Crossfit. (Some of those articles are really long, sorry.) But it's been a while since I've been really motivated to work out, especially since I just moved to a new area/it's been ridiculously hot, and I decided to join a local crossfit gym. It was partly because I know I train better with others and when someone is telling me what to do in front of me and partly so I get to meet new people with similar athletic goals.

Although I know most of the lifts they utilize already, I decided to go with the "on-ramp" classes to build up my endurance. Since I read ahead, I'm not very surprised with the method, but I definitely never trained like this before in track. High reps, low weight, in circuits. Sometimes for time, sometimes for rounds.

Overall, I have mixed thoughts. It's fairly expensive (about twice as much as my previous gym), but it's a lot easier than looking at gyms and seeing who has bumper plates and enough space to do cleans. If anything, it's definitely a workout. I could see how at higher weights and for completely new people how it might result in injury.  We'll see how this month goes.

Monday:
Snatch (25)
Hand Release Pushups (BW)
Overhead Squat (15)

For time
Reps: 15-12-9-6-3

Today:
Deadlift (55)
Push press (15)
Row machine

x1 minute each (as many reps as possible)
x4 rounds

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: Crossfit
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 03:15:33 PM »
I'd like to work out at a Crossfit gym, but for the money you pay for the one around here, they should work out for me and surgically graft the muscles to me.  It's like $200/mo for my local box

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 08:50:14 PM »
holy smokes. the cheapest rate at the one i'm going to is $70/month 2x a week or $100/month unlimited (both for 6 month terms).

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 08:52:21 PM »
Also because I'm in the on-ramp classes, these are pretty much just personal training sessions. I think there's only one or two other people in them, and neither showed up to the last session.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 04:47:38 PM »
I have a friend that runs a cross-fit gym, he swears by it. I'd like to try too but not for that kind of cash.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 05:43:40 PM »
This is the best argument against CF that I've seen, talking about Greg Glassman
Okay pretty sure this is sarcastic but seriously, anybody who buys this guy, name me a single accomplishment this guy or any of his athletes have made outside his own made-up sport of Crossfit. If Crossfit is so dope for making people fit, if it were so much better than track and field's (and so many other sport's) periodized training, wouldn't Crossfitters be winning competitions besides Crossfitter vs Crossfitter? Has Glassman or the main page WOD ever made a successful athlete? If they haven't, shouldn't you take a second and think about whether this is really the guy you want to be taking advice from?

And if your answer is "oh well I don't care about my deadlift (which powerlifters beat me on) or my 5k (which runners beat me on) or my physique (which bodybuilders beat me on) or my general fitness (which running backs, decathletes, point guards, etc etc beat me on)", then what is it you care about? What is it that Crossfit can train you for that other programs can't do better?
They go on to talk about how you can get a Level 1 CF cert by just spending a grand and sitting through a weekend class as well as all the injuries that CF proponents seem to end up with in the name of "intensity"

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 08:54:28 PM »
Today we reviewed from last week:

Deadlift (55)
DB Push press (15)
Jump rope

x4 rounds

I'm really on the fence on all the arguments. I can't say much since I'm not in the real classes yet, but here goes.

I don't see myself ever competing seriously again, but I want to stay in shape. But then again, that's also something I like doing by running, cycling, playing football. I don't have to be the best, but I know lifting and HIIT (two things I already know and like) will help in how I perform in those activities. If I am training for something in particular, then I'll supplement the workouts in some other way.

For people that were never competitive, I could see how it wouldn't be a problem for them that they aren't the best at whatever, as long as they're getting "better" in terms of themselves. I'm sure there are plenty of people that hurt themselves pushing beyond their limits, but I don't think it's valid to say that it's something specific to CF. Everything I've seen so far at my box has been very specific NOT to push people too far (although, this might be so that they don't scare us away).

And in terms of being wary about about certification, I say by all means be wary. If they can't lift correctly or if something is ridiculous, I probably won't listen to them. (I know the argument is that noobs won't know the difference, but whatever)

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 09:10:59 PM »
>I don't think it's valid to say that it's something specific to CF.

It's certainly not, but the general attitude of strict CF people I've spoken to seems to go back to that.  If you're not puking or passing out or whatever, you're just not trying hard enough.  I mean, look at what happened to the University of Iowa football team this winter after doing a CF-inspired workout: http://hawkcentral.com/2011/03/23/iowa-rhabdo-cases-a-wake-up-call-committee-says/

Then CF puts up their videos of the CF games and show people lifting over and over again with terrible, terrible form.  I don't think someone like you would fall victim to this, but it seems really dangerous for people who aren't as confident or experienced.

I'll stop though - anything that actually gets people working out is basically a good thing, I just don't like the attitude of the zealots and I don't like the cost.

Are your weights listed in pounds or kg?

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 09:21:52 PM »
pounds. I gots no endurance, yo.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 09:23:18 PM »
I sort of want to time myself and see how many 55lb deadlifts I could do in a minute, but I'm afraid I'd blow out my back (which is still hurting from bad training ironically!)

What's your deadlift PR?

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 10:19:59 PM »
I never set a deadlift PR. I don't like doing them. They just did a DL PR day last week, so it might be a while until I get to give my max a go.

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 08:13:40 PM »
Hello again, calluses! You came back so quickly after taking so long to go away!

DL (55)
Shoulder press (55 for first 18, 45 for remainder)

12-9-6-3-1

For time: 5:40

I should've asked for more deadlift weight.

We also normally do some sort of warm-up that's related to the work out and stretch at the end. Also did some ab work today for the first time in who knows when.

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2011, 11:34:11 AM »
I'm pretty sure eating 3 breakfasts negates working out this morning.

5 snatches (45)
10 hand release push ups
20 lateral cone jumps

As many rounds as possible (AMRAP) in 8 minutes: 5

The last set of push ups were the ugliest I've ever done.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2011, 11:52:09 AM »
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, so eating it three times is obviously three times as good!

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2011, 08:29:53 PM »
Considering I ate nothing for the rest of the day because I wasn't hungry, I'm going to agree with you.

Clean (35#)
Kettlebell swing (8kg)
Jump rope

x4 rounds

My forearms hurt.